A Personal Point of view

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Yes, some sort of failover-mechanism would be great .... e.g. in the GRUB start options maybe? Or as a command? The command would auto-collect the logs from the failed setup (e.g. xorg.logs ...) and then execute a series of scripts that would create an xorg.conf file for 800 x 600 VGA, 256 colors. Most present-day desktop graphics cards and laptops can easily handle this mode. If that one fails too, fall back to 640 x 480 ... every laptop and every desktop can sure handle that resolution. Once you got graphics back it should be easy even for a newbie to get some help to fix whatever other problem is left ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

D1Wayne, your post was very well worded. The subject of graphics cards and Linux has been in many articals and reviews and makes a valid point. At best, number 4 might be used but most just want things to work "out of the box".
Husse

Post by Husse »

I second your thoughts on this D1Wayne.
The irony is that your 13 XP people move back to an OS that we have to agree is working, but with many flaws such as malware and the like and every now and then they will see the screen flicker blueish and the computer will mercilessly reboot and destroy the last hours work. That will happen about as often as X crashes on Linux I think...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Hmmm thanks I have an idea about this restore-video-mode and grub.

It all has to do with run levels and the fact that there are lots that are not used so you can do what ever you like with a spare one.
He he he.
know what i'm saying hay hay. :wink: :wink: say no more, say no more!

:lol:

now off to play...
well maybe tonight.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

And Window's worst flaw is that to do anything, its a process of clicking the next button. Secretly Training you to just click next as fast as you can w/o reading.

Windows is a constant process of using your administrator abilities to setup the machine.

Linux is a constant lock down, from the administrator who took the time to configure the videocard so that the users can click every button in sight, and yet the computer will be untouched for the next person to use it.

My X-server rarely crashes, and fixing it is always a simple command. sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, then click next a million times. When my videodriver fails in Windows XP, its a hassle of uninstalling the old driver, explaining to someone less computer literate of where to click on the screen, with things hidden in tabs, to reinstall drivers, to click a million more buttons to find the update driver button. Which will then spin a circle for a minute while it phones home to microsoft just to tell you you have to click back, and install it manually. .. .. I could go on,... as i still have a restart and need to set the adapter frequency to 75, since 60 HURTS!. haha. Its just familiearity.

I believe the best way to interact with a comptuer is throght the keyboard. Its more about muscle memory, and complex tasks can be achieved though key sequenes.

I don't think the user interface has improved with the GUI. It only adds more buttons on the top of the screen, filled with buttons to customize those buttons. Think of the formula editor for MSOFFICE. You constantly have to click,drag,highlight then click the sqrt button. Then you type your equation, and need an integration sign with limits, each times you clicking little boxes, and typing numbers on the screen. Whereas in OPENOFFICE, you click equation editor and it give you like a command console where you type you equation of line distance "S=int from a to b sqrt x". A simple example of how a GUI isn't always an improvement.

Don't get me started on the new office. Its "IMPROVEMENTS" yeah right,
Whats worse than buttons on the screen, buttons on the screen that move around. Its not getting easier here, its becomming more upfront, and giving everything a single purpose. When you type it out, you have the ability to have programs give the output of one operation to start a second. How neet
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

To answer the original question, a nice little "startup" booklet enclosed with each purchased CD (or downloaded with the iso) would be helpful. I could give install instructions and some basic info on what to do if something goes wrong, driver installs, etc.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

isnt gutsy gibbon going to come with bullet proof xorg? ie... if your xorg isn't setup right it goes to a failsafe mode... not as fancy but still gets you to a GUI with GNOME or KDE or whatever you use...?

so I suppose the original poster's worries end beginning next month :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

yup, gutsy will have bulletproof X, meaning itll drop you to a low resolution that shows you displayconfig-gtk from which you can select drivers, resolutions, etc

Return to “Open Chat”