Silverlight

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Silverlight

Post by Verlager »

Today, I tried unsuccessfully to view mlb.com videos. They have all been ported over to the new MS SilverLight format and Linux doesn't yet have a browser plugin for it.

Will Microsoft jealously guard their new proprietary format? Will Linux be able to read these files and keep pace with MS in multimedia capabilities?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Wow! That sucks!

Did you try to install the plugin?
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Did I try to install the MS Windows plugin for Silverlight?

Post by Verlager »

nelamvr6 wrote:Wow! That sucks!

Did you try to install the plugin?
Did I try to install the MS Windows plugin for Silverlight to run under Linux? Actually, I did, and it just hung unresponsively. Go figure.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

:P

Yeah, it does sound goofy, but you never know...

There is a Mac OS plugin... I wonder...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Silverlight

Post by scorp123 »

Verlager wrote:Today, I tried unsuccessfully to view mlb.com videos.
Which one? Any video in particular? I have no troubles whatsoever to watch the video content from there .... Not that baseball tells me anything, but it works here.
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Verlager »

scorp123 wrote:
Verlager wrote:Today, I tried unsuccessfully to view mlb.com videos.
Which one? Any video in particular? I have no troubles whatsoever to watch the video content from there ....
Try a video from the center of the page (not the top bar menu).

Baseball means nothing to me, either, but I have a friend who likes the Chicago Cubs. Is baseball even a sport, or just a skill? For example, Barry Bonds can hit home runs, but sports writers tell me he can't run or field, -which makes baseball a specialty skill. Football and basketball are genuine sports. But baseball draws its players from the ranks of super athletes.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Verlager wrote: Try a video from the center of the page (not the top bar menu).
Yes, I tried those ... from the YouTube-like GUI.
Verlager wrote: For example, Barry Bonds can hit home runs
Who's that??
Verlager wrote: But baseball draws its players from the ranks of super athletes.
Like the others don't do that?? :wink:

BTW, why do you people call your Football "football" when in fact most of the time the ball is carried with the hands? :wink: This here is the real deal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29 ... "most popular sport in the world" :wink:
Verlager
Level 2
Level 2

comment....

Post by Verlager »

By "center of the page" I mean a point approximately equidistant from the top, bottom, left and right edges, not a midpoint between the top and bottom OR the left and right. If you can see the videos at the center of the page at mlb.com, then you are using Microsoft Windows with the Silverlight embedded video plugin. I am using LinuxMint version 3.0., and I can't see them, because there is no Linux Silverlight plugin yet. Should be here by the end of the year.

Barry Bonds is an American baseball player who has hit 755 home runs, a feat augmented by steroid use. And yes! Soccer takes exceptional coordination and athletic ability. Which is one reason I don't play it.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: comment....

Post by scorp123 »

Verlager wrote: If you can see the videos at the center of the page at mlb.com, then you are using Microsoft Windows with the Silverlight embedded video plugin.
I will have to check again what I can see and what I can't see. But I definitely don't use Windows here. I installed some multimedia-related packages a few days ago ... I'll have to check what that was, maybe it's stuff in one of those packages that did the trick??
Verlager wrote: a feat augmented by steroid use.
Talking of steroids ... here in Europe many bicyclists were caught red-handed having used various illegal substances, events such as "Tour de France" have become a total joke ("Tour de Farce"). I sometimes wonder what the situation looks like in other sports ... thinking that everybody is "clean" seems a bit naive. But that kinda kills the idea behind "sports", doesn't it? :?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

scorp123 wrote: BTW, why do you people call your Football "football" when in fact most of the time the ball is carried with the hands? :wink:
Why ask why? It just is.

I appreciate that your football is very athletic, but I'd rather watch our football!

But you should give baseball a chance. It's a very graceful sport. the rhythm and pace is very relaxing, and yet a game can be very exciting. it appears to be very simple on the surface, but there is a lot more going on if you just scratch that surface.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

nelamvr6 wrote:Why ask why? It just is.
Because it just doesn't make sense?

Regardless of the qualities of both games, which are an entirely different kettle of fish. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Sorensei wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:Why ask why? It just is.
Because it just doesn't make sense?

Regardless of the qualities of both games, which are an entirely different kettle of fish. :wink:
That's very true, but neither of us is going to change anything by this discussion. It just is.

Why do women talk so much? Why won't men ask for directions? Why ask why?

For what it's worth, out football was named at a time when the feet were used a lot more often than they are now, the game has evolved over time.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

nelamvr6 wrote:For what it's worth, out football was named at a time when the feet were used a lot more often than they are now, the game has evolved over time.
Ha ha! You see when you want to, you can find why! :wink:

And by the way that's the first credible answer I've had to that specific question... :D
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Sorensei wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:For what it's worth, out football was named at a time when the feet were used a lot more often than they are now, the game has evolved over time.
Ha ha! You see when you want to, you can find why! :wink:

And by the way that's the first credible answer I've had to that specific question... :D
Feet still weren't used to move the ball back then like they are in your football, but instead there were a lot more kicks, like drop-kicks for example.

It's probably true that your game is more correctly named football, but by now it's too late to change.

And I still prefer to watch our football! :P

Return to “Sound”