I'm impressed!!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DavidH

I'm impressed!!

Post by DavidH »

Hello all,

I am David, live in the UK, and have recently discovered Linux.

I have been looking at buying a second hand desktop pc to connect to my television.
Whilst buying new hardware, I thought why not new software too?

I have been using Windows since 1996. Win95 was ok for me. Later editions from Microsoft have been increasingly frustrating.

The computer that I am writing on now received a virus (yet again for the xxxxxxth time! - the amount of times I have had to re-install Windows XP Pro!). This pc was bought off Ebay with no drivers. Luckily, I was trying out different versions of Linux before this happened. Tried Puppy, then Ubuntu. Mint is the best.

Everything is on-board, sound graphics ethernet. Windows installs graphics, but asks me to install drivers for the sound and ethernet. Didn't I mention that I have no drivers. No use downloading them, because without ethernet, I can not gain internet access!!

I burnt the iso's for Ubuntu and Mint onto cdrw's. Linux Mint 9 recognizes everything - graphics, sound, ethernet. So this is ONE reason that I am impressed.

Secondly, I always thought that Linux was difficult to use. I am no programmer, and am completely new to the idea of a terminal. Turns out it is easy to use.

Thirdly, speed is quick. It makes my pc seem like new (according to the system info, it was designed in 2004).

Fourthly, no viruses yet in a month of use. So security must be good. One would assume with Microsoft's experience that they would have mastered security issues (obviously not).

I am getting bored now of listing the advantages, so will stop now (this was supposed to be just a welcome hi!).

I still can't understand why a great os like Mint can be given away for free.

I have queries regarding graphics cards, but will leave that for another post.

Now all that is left is to find out how friendly you lot are :lol:
Just realized there are smilies to use! 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markfiend

Re: I'm impressed!!

Post by markfiend »

Hello David. Glad you like Mint!

The Mint community tends to be (one of?) the most helpful and friendly on the web. We don't bite! :wink:

And I've noticed a fair few of us Brits around the place. :mrgreen:
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome David,

I also found Mint easy to use and pretty much seamless. I first installed Mint 7, Felicia, on my laptop 18 months ago. It was my first attempt to actually use Linux on a daily basis. In had made installs on old boxes of two other distros just out of curiosity (openSuse10 and Vector). I did not actually use them for anything. Mint has been my daily OS since Dec 08 on my personal machines.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello DavidH,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
If you have queries regarding your graphics card post the details of the card along with your question in Hardware>Graphics Cards & Monitors it's highly likely someone will know the answer and be able to give you the information you need.
I'm also a Brit,and I haven't bitten anyone yet...
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Thanks for the welcome.

Do more Brits prefer Linux then? :D
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

This isn't very scientific but judging by membership of the Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/ UK has the second highest number of users after the US.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”