Synaptic stopped working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ductape

Synaptic stopped working

Post by ductape »

I was trying to install Java plugin for firefox, and I used the terminal apt-get stuff. I think the install crashed or something.

After that, anything i tried to install with Synaptic would stall and say, "waiting for lock".

I restarted my computer and and now when i click INSTALL in synaptic, the button goes away and nothing at all happens.

How do I get back to happy again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ductape

Re: Synaptic stopped working

Post by ductape »

i messed around with my software sources list, and when closing it asked to reload so i said yes.

it told me i had to manually do a:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

so I did that, im all fixed now. Why does this happen and why cant Synaptic recover on its own? I guess I got lucky and found my own answer but I was kinda bummed.

EDIT:
NOPE! not all fixed. When i click INSTALL it starts up, and then it says its is committing. Then instantly, the download flashed out and Synaptic has 0 ongoing actions. What gives?
ductape

Post by ductape »

OK so i found out the Java install was broken, i tried to remove it by teh package manager, and it said it was in a very bad state and should be reinstall before deleting, so ok. I try that.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

and i get errors:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

whats going on?
ductape

Post by ductape »

OK i worked through it, Ill say here just in case this ever comes up for anyone.

The Java install failing was the culprit. I had a screen at the end where you had to select OK to accept the license and stuff. I couldnt figure out how to highlight the OK "button" so i exited, and that how the install failed.

you must use the TAB key and then enter, duh. ok i got it now

repaired the install with some help from other forum threads and I am truly up and running again.
MKRD.info

Post by MKRD.info »

ductape wrote:repaired the install with some help from other forum threads and I am truly up and running again.
What exactly did you do to repair your installation?

Return to “Software & Applications”