OpenOffice Better in Windows?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

OpenOffice Better in Windows?

Post by gman »

From my experience I would have to say I like OO better in Windows than I do in Linux. In my opinion, OO for Linux actually could be a detriment. Some of the wizards do not work in the Linux but do work in Linux. In Linux it is not easy to install OpenOffice outside of the distros package. Try installing the deb version of the latest developer release 2.3? Has anyone figured it out? In Windows it is easy to install the latest releases, in Linux not so easy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

latest developer release 2.3
That means beta or possibly alfa and that may be the problem.
A .deb > just double click
If that does not work there's something wrong with the .deb
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

OOffice in Linux

Post by oliverjames »

I'm surprised by Gman's experience. I find that OpenOffice is much faster under Linux then under Windows, and fully functional.

I've always installed the Linux version from the respective distro repository and maybe it's better to go with that version rather than searching for the latest release?
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

im using the latest 2.3 release in gutsy, 2.3 is kinda buggy atm, it crashes after a few seconds on everything other than writer.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

IMHO, 2.2 is the only one we can really call a "release" at the moment ;) I consider a "final" to be a "release".

....and for me, it SAILS in Linux but crawls in two different Windows PC's, both XP, one a laptop, the other a desktop.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Maybe OO works better in Windows than certain versions of Linux? In Windows I was able to install 2.3 developer release in a matter of minutes, in Linux I can't seem to find a way to get 2.3 installed. I need to try 2.3 because the wizards in 2.2.1 base are not working, and since OO is not the best for building forms the wizards are desperately needed.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Got 2.3 Dev snapshot installed but it keeps crashing. Reinstalled OO 2.2 using Adept_Installer, mistake!!!!! It looks hideous!! no styling what so ever, icons are no where to be found. Plan to remove using adept_installer and install using Mint Install.
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Adept_Installer doesn't install KDE integration. If you use Adept_Installer you need to use Adept_Manager to install the other OO-KDE components.

Return to “Software & Applications”