Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anonova

Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

Post by anonova »

I recently installed the main Linux Mint 9 (i386). I'm having some trouble running Java applets in Firefox. I searched around and found that the general solution is to replace OpenJDK and IcedTea with Sun Java and its web plugin. What is the preferred way to go about doing this? There are a lot of guides for Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10, but I'm not sure if they will work with the 10.04 base. I decided to look at what's installed and the packages in the repositories and came up with this.

Code: Select all

aptitude remove openjdk-6-jre openjdk-6-jre-headless openjdk-6-jre-lib icedtea6-plugin icedtea-6-jre-cacao
aptitude install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
Can anyone confirm that this will not mess up a fairly fresh Linux Mint 9 install?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: Replacing OpenJDK with Sun Java

Post by deleted »

I usually use synaptic, and install Sun's jdk first, then remove open jdk (iced-tea). That way I don't inadvertently uninstall an app dependent on java.
-H
vincent

Post by vincent »

Did you install the DVD version or the CD version? If the DVD version, then you already have Sun Java installed.
anonova

Post by anonova »

hinto wrote:I usually use synaptic, and install Sun's jdk first, then remove open jdk (iced-tea). That way I don't inadvertently uninstall an app dependent on java.
-H
Fortunately, aptitude was smart enough not to do that. I executed the commands I posted in a VM, and everything seems to have went okay.
vincent wrote:Did you install the DVD version or the CD version? If the DVD version, then you already have Sun Java installed.
I used the CD version. Why does the CD version have OpenJDK, and the DVD one, Sun Java?
vincent

Post by vincent »

Java was left out of the CD because of space restrictions, as was VLC, OpenOffice.org-base, F-Spot, Samba, additional wallpapers and ttf-dejavu (the last one is a truetype font). All of the above were included on the DVD though.
deleted

Post by deleted »

anonova wrote:
hinto wrote:I usually use synaptic, and install Sun's jdk first, then remove open jdk (iced-tea). That way I don't inadvertently uninstall an app dependent on java.
-H
Fortunately, aptitude was smart enough not to do that. I executed the commands I posted in a VM, and everything seems to have went okay.
vincent wrote:Did you install the DVD version or the CD version? If the DVD version, then you already have Sun Java installed.
I used the CD version. Why does the CD version have OpenJDK, and the DVD one, Sun Java?
If for example, you have Eclipse installed and uninstall iced-tea first, Eclipse will be uninstalled since you will have a broken dependencies. That is why I install sun-jdk first, then uninstall iced-tea.
-Hinto

Return to “Beginner Questions”