[Solved]Virtual box related sound problems

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved]Virtual box related sound problems

Post by mzsade »

Hi,
I run XP guest on oracle's latest virtual box--streaming audio stops after playing for about 5 mins, a browser page refresh brings back the sound only to stop again. When audio doesn't work there it also stops working on my Mint host. I assumed it to be a VM related problem and posted in the virtualbox.org forum; http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p144220
I am advised to remove pulse audio. I have already googled for a way to do that as per, http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showp ... ostcount=4
I need a go-ahead from you guys, pulse being nicely integrated into the system by default and all, i am afraid i might end up removing some essential meta-packages and borking my machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
vincent

Re: Virtual box related sound problems

Post by vincent »

Code: Select all

vincent@vincent-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
[sudo] password for vincent: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  indicator-sound libcanberra-pulse padevchooser paprefs pulseaudio
  pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf
  pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 6,652kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
It doesn't seem like any meta packages will be removed. Only thing you'd need to watch out for is the removal of indicator-sound; I believe that this will remove the sound indicator applet in your notification area. Should be fine otherwise, but you might want to ask for another second opinion, since I've personally never removed pulseaudio myself.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED]Re: Virtual box related sound problems

Post by mzsade »

Thanks, went ahead and did it--what do i want with the volume icon when i can control the whole works with the alsamixer-gui applet! :D

Edit: I am sorry, i forgot to mention that sound drivers do not crash in XP on Virtual Box now.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Return to “Hardware Support”