If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piratesmack

If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by piratesmack »

I saw an interesting thread on LQ, thought I'd post it here.

What would you use if Linux Mint disappeared?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: If Linux Mint disappeared tomorrow, what would you use?

Post by DrHu »

Mint, the version I have installed, you don't lose the option to keep using your distribution as soon as the distributor stops releasing updates..
--so you will have plenty of time to decide, I would say at least 1 year or longer..

I also looked at the link you gave, and unlike a review or discussion about Orphan OS or Linux distributions that disappear, there is nothing there discussing that problem..

In fact many people are able to scratch their nostalgia itch by maintaining some access to an OS they appreciated or like in some way in their past
--for example, there are still many commodore or Atari or Amiga fans around, who can run their favorite OS in an emulator
--or if you used Mainframes or minis, you might like to use a PDP emulator or an MVS emulator (Hercules), all of which will give you the native look and fell and operation of those systems

For example, I was a big fan of BEOS, and have been watching Haiku recently, even though it is not quite ready (missing a package manager and software valet, a very nice one button install manager, wireless and a few other issues..), it does install and run

I also like MVS, in fact I would say that the Micro revolution has now adopted many of the mainframe characteristics of structured environments and some planning, although how close to the rigor of the mainframe process they have gotten, I am not so sure..
Last edited by DrHu on Tue May 22, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

If Mint disappeared, I would probably use Peppermint or Crunchbang, with Sidux as a distant third choice
vincent

Post by vincent »

If Mint disappeared, I'd just go back to Ubuntu and "mintify" it myself.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Good thread question. It sorta relates to the unfounded fears I've provoked in my thread here.

My answer would be another noob-friendly out-of-the-box distro like PCLinuxOS, or ... how many others are there now?!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Just about any one of the other distros that I've installed or currently have installed would be fine with me.

I hated the "trapped" feeling I had with Windows. I've made it a point to never let myself get too tied down to any one Linux distro, so I always have at least two distros installed. I prefer to have three or four.

I like to consider myself "a Linux user," not "a Mint user" or "a Mepis user" or whatever. If Clem stopped putting Mint out there, I'd feel sad about it but it wouldn't affect me much.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

No Mint? Well right now the second Linux OS on the box is Peppermint (most tasty) however I also keep a current copy of CentOS loaded so it would be a toss up.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Ubuntu's probably my choice. After all, Mint is based on Ubuntu.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
ezas

Post by ezas »

I already run it, PCLOS. I run Mint 9 and PCLOS 2010.1 and Windows XP in a triple boot I update the two linux distros ever day or two. I run PCLOS with KDE and Mint with Gnome. Some days I boot Mint other days I boot PCLOS. Eventually I will get Wine or Virtual box running to move completely off Windows. I'll probably do wine in one distro and virtual box on the other.

Both are stable on my main box and fun to use and between the two there is not much I can't find in one repo or the other. They both have nice looking default themes and they are stable and both did great jobs detecting hardware and installing non-free drivers. It either one disappeared I would happily use the other.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You mean after running the existing Mint 9 for however many years before it wouldn't run anymore? LOL. Probably PeppermintOS. Seems to be the next best thing.
@Kendall: I only say next best because I like gnome. lxde would take getting use to.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Next to the currently running LM8XFCE probably Debian with XFCE (Ubuntu is no longer an option post 9.04).
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I'd dual-boot Crunchbang Statler XFCE with Peppermint
pongo

Post by pongo »

I'm with MALsPa: just as a rose is a rose is a rose, Linux is Linux is Linux. I find that I customize what ever distro I use so that its own mother or progenitor wouldn't recognize it anyway, so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference which one I start from. I use Mint for my daily work since Mint starts out being more what I want to end up with than any other distro I've tried. Also because I've found that Mint is a very good distro for the people who are new to Linux or don't want to know enough about computers to care what their operating system is. I advise several of these and it makes sense to use what I'm providing for them.

Mint 9 is LTS so everybody is probably good for a couple of years unless some wonderful new thing came along. Me. I might go back to openSUSE, which I used happily for years (and imposed on others) while I still had a formal job. It requires much more tweeking to get it where I want it than Mint, but it is very tweekable. YaST is a very good thing. Straight old Ubuntu would work too. Linux is Linux is Linux.
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

I would probably go to Ubuntu, but then again, there are just so many distros out there that would be interesting to try.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I've only tried a handful of distros, but other than Mint I like PCLinuxOS and openSUSE.
Superewza

Post by Superewza »

Interesting question, probably try out Crunchbang like i've been meaning to for ages now...
tlford

Post by tlford »

I'd have to say that if Mint disappeared I'd probably just go back to Debian or Slackware. Though it has been awhile since I used a distro that didn't autoconfig everything about the OS I think I could handle switching back.
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

oscar799 wrote:I'd dual-boot Crunchbang Statler XFCE with Peppermint
Nice choices! Both are on my netbook now...
Chris Weimer

Post by Chris Weimer »

vincent wrote:If Mint disappeared, I'd just go back to Ubuntu and "mintify" it myself.
What vincent said. A better question for people here might be, "What OS would you use if Ubuntu never existed?" (So, not only no Mint, no Crunchbang either; sorry oscar.)

I'm not sure what I'd do then. I'd probably go back to distro-hopping. I always wanted to try out DreamLinux...
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

Chris Weimer wrote:
vincent wrote:If Mint disappeared, I'd just go back to Ubuntu and "mintify" it myself.
What vincent said. A better question for people here might be, "What OS would you use if Ubuntu never existed?" (So, not only no Mint, no Crunchbang either; sorry oscar.)

I'm not sure what I'd do then. I'd probably go back to distro-hopping. I always wanted to try out DreamLinux...
Crunchbang 10 "Statler" is now Debian based and very fast. It's in Alpha 2 but pretty stable.

Return to “Chat about Linux”