freespire 2.0 released

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

freespire 2.0 released

Post by madjr »

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_news_pr ... php?id=223

i tried version 1.0 and it was pretty good (and a real 10 minute installer wow) now 2.0 is based on ubuntu 7.04 so it should feel a lot better.

can anyone try it and tell us how it goes and how it compares to mint :)

This version of freespire should be a taste of what's coming with Ubuntu 7.10 and CNR.

CNR was slow before, i don't know if its better now. A plus was the inclussion of commercial software and some other goodies, but sometimes it wasn't as intuitive or organized like the mint software portal is. Maybe this has improved ?

I must say i love the mint soft portal but the first thing i install after a fresh mint installation is "gnome-app-install" (i think). It just feels easier and has much more software (at this stage) to satisfy a newcomer from Windows. Also, having it along side the mint soft portal + removed + klik + synaptic is what makes mint rock.

Having more choices is really better than trying to substitute one for the other.

maybe a .mint file to re-enable it would be better than searching for it in synaptic?

am not into kde much thats why i love my Mint Cassandra :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: freespire 2.0 released

Post by antiquexray »

madjr wrote:can anyone try it and tell us how it goes and how it compares to mint :)

am not into kde much thats why i love my Mint Cassandra :)
I tried it, after some trial and error, but like you, I like Gnome. It took me a couple hours to get gnome installed and running. After that, it is much like Ubuntu and Mint, from what I've been able to tell the brief time I've used it.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

calumc wrote:ive tried linspire before and all i can say is thank god i didnt pay for it!
i dont know what freespire is like but linspire is a 100% money making scheme.
i only had it for about a day but what i found was that the only things that were easy to do were the ones that you had to pay them for, and it also seemed like it had all of the customisation options taken out of it.
And for all its hype about being easy to use it didnt even come with flash or java preinstalled and there wasnt an option to do it via CNR.
And now to top it all off theyre owned by M$.
What more of a reason could you want to not use it?
well, yes.

some people may like it...

but am talking about version 2.0

So we can compare. any good features could be implemented into Mint.

Cheking out the competition is never bad :)

the first time microsoft checked the competition linux was at their toes. The last time they checked we were just under their noses...! see it was too late.

Return to “Chat about Linux”