BCM4312 driver install question

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
COKEDUDE

BCM4312 driver install question

Post by COKEDUDE »

Does Mint not include the same drivers that Ubuntu includes? I read this article about the BCM4312 being included with Ubuntu so I am curious why this driver didn't install automatically like the rest of my drivers were.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/12108/print
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: BCM4312 driver install question

Post by piratesmack »

edit:
Nope, I'm wrong
Last edited by piratesmack on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vincent

Post by vincent »

piratesmack wrote:Mint used to include a deb package for the broadcom-sta driver on the cd so it could be installed from the restricted drivers manager, but it was removed in Mint 9.

My only guess is there wasn't enough room on the CD, but it's not on the DVD either.

Ubuntu Lucid still includes the driver.
Hmmm...isn't it still there? Have a look in /usr/share/local-repository/binary. And note that this local repository is activated by default in Linux Mint 9. ;)
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

vincent wrote:
piratesmack wrote:Mint used to include a deb package for the broadcom-sta driver on the cd so it could be installed from the restricted drivers manager, but it was removed in Mint 9.

My only guess is there wasn't enough room on the CD, but it's not on the DVD either.

Ubuntu Lucid still includes the driver.
Hmmm...isn't it still there? Have a look in /usr/share/local-repository/binary. And note that this local repository is activated by default in Linux Mint 9. ;)
Is that inside the squashfs? I didn't think to check there. Thanks!

I remember getting a "failed to download" error when trying to enable the driver in Mint 9 though.
That's why I thought it was removed. I'll give it a try again.
vincent

Post by vincent »

No, that path also resides in a default Linux Mint 9 install; just open Nautilus and take a look, you don't have to boot up a Live CD to check.

However, the Hardware Drivers GUI (jockey) does not recognize this local repository, so on a system without a network connection, it would still give you a "failed to download" message.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I'm using the live cd since I don't have Mint installed on this computer.
I see the local repository, but I can't get apt to use it.

No matter what it tries to download the packages from the internet.

I was able to install bcmwl-kernel-source and dependencies with gdebi-gtk, but in Lucid I didn't have to do this.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Hmmm...I don't know how to get jockey to use Mint's local repository either. Well, at least the drivers are there on the Live CD...
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

1. Mint contains the same drivers as Ubuntu.
2. It never says in that article that the drivers were installed by default in Ubuntu at that time(they still aren't). It says that Dell/Ubuntu/Broadcom released the drivers for Ubuntu(and Linux in general).
3. The drivers are not installed by default so that you are given a choice between the proprietary drivers and the open source drivers as often is the case when there is such an option.
COKEDUDE

Post by COKEDUDE »

JasonLG wrote:1. Mint contains the same drivers as Ubuntu.
2. It never says in that article that the drivers were installed by default in Ubuntu at that time(they still aren't). It says that Dell/Ubuntu/Broadcom released the drivers for Ubuntu(and Linux in general).
3. The drivers are not installed by default so that you are given a choice between the proprietary drivers and the open source drivers as often is the case when there is such an option.
Then how do you install them without connecting to the internet? I couldn't install them without connecting to the internet.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Open the file manager and navigate to /usr/share/local-repository/binary

Install the deb packages in this order:
1. patch
2. dkms
3. fakeroot
4. bcmwl-kernel-source

Return to “Hardware Support”