problem with dependencies

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

problem with dependencies

Post by jpedrosa »

hi,
i have a LM box without internet access at the moment.
so i'm trying to install the pakages, but i run into a problem.

i've downloaded the package nvidia-glx_1.0.9631+2.6.22.2-9.7_i386.deb and this required the libc6, so i downloaded the package libc6_2.6.1-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

the problem is that when i try to install the libc6, it says the has a conflict with package TZdata, this is the time zone information... i kind a ... need it :)

any way to overcome this?

best regards,
JP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

any reason you are not using synaptic or apt-get? using a newer kernel and so need the newer nvidia deb by the looks of it.
they would resolve all the dependencies.

you could use synaptic or apt-get to install libc6 first from the repos. this would resolve any dependencies with libc6.

then try installing the nvidia-glx file manually.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi,
thanks.

yes there is a special reason for not using synaptic or apt-get ... i don't know how :)

now, serious, i don't know how to use it without internet access. i thought that thoose only worked online.

can you give me some lights?
i'm an Ex-slackare user.... i'm "off" the linux world for 5 or 6 years, but i can try to catch up fast ;)

but listen,
i managed to comply with the libc6 dependencies, the problem is that it does not install, because TZdata package is present.

best regards,
JP
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

check for an update to the TZdata package.

if you access to the internet on a ubuntu/mint system somewhere i would install a program called APTonCD.
this will allow you to download all the dependencies for a program(s) and then burn them to CD. (make sure you put aptoncd on it too)
then you take the CD to the other computer and use aptoncd to add it to the repos list. then you can use apt-get or synaptic to install the program(s) as if you were connected to the internet.

of course if you only have a windows box to the internet you are stuck with your current method of updating.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi thanks.

i'll try what is says on the link.
for me the other option is not an "option" at the moment, i don't have other machine with LM/Ubuntu

is getting clear to me that i must try to have internet on that pc, so today i will try to take a crossover cable from the office and try to access using my laptop+3G card.

lets see.

i always liked a nice fight ... ;)
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi,
i forgot the crossover cable :(

but this is a brand new install, and i saw that LM+KDE was released yesterday, so my 3G card is working hard to see if i can have the new distro tonight.

then, i'll get back to the fight ;)

i'm also more used to KDE so it's good news.

thanks for the interest i'll keep you updated.

by the way, when i say tonight ... Portugal time ;) it's 15h30m here now ;)

regards,
JP
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi.

please don't ask....

it has been some hard time :)

I've downloaded The KDE edition, and installed on my personal machine.

Then... the movie starts :D

i received a new laptop, and had to spend time installing it
on my personal machine ... wireless is not working.
on my personal machine ... i already had trashed the LAN adapter.
yesterday i got another PCI LAN CARD.
so this weekend i will continue the previous fight with the dependencies :D :D :D

things never take so little time has they should

PS: and i was also on vacation :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”