Why do YOU think Ubuntu 10.04 sucks?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why do YOU think Ubuntu 10.04 sucks?

Post by Midnighter »

I always strip mono out. I never use any of the apps, nothing outstanding about any of them to me. F-spot does nothing for me, prefer picasa or gthumb. And i never use tomboy. Mono's just another platform, and I don't need any of it's stuff. Simply a matter of practicality.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I also used to remove it but I'm fed up with it. It should be an option to install it, not to remove it.
Everyday on fsdaily I can read stories about De Icaza, Novell and Microsoft pushing their trojan in Linux and I can't stand the threat anymore.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

GoustiFruit wrote:I also used to remove it but I'm fed up with it. It should be an option to install it, not to remove it.
Everyday on fsdaily I can read stories about De Icaza, Novell and Microsoft pushing their trojan in Linux and I can't stand the threat anymore.

Yes, I would prefer it be an optional install. But since Canonical (or their Emperor) seem to insist on pushing it, and the Mint crew to seem to think it's indispensible, we seem stuck with it by default.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Midnighter wrote:(...) we seem stuck with it by default.
Luckily not: Linux (<> Ubuntu) is about choice, and I chose not to use Mint anymore and to switch to something else.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Using linux is like dating someone for a long time. You never want to say " I don't ever want to see you again" because it's likely you'll be back together in the future.

Each linux distro seems to go through phases. It's probably the nature of how linux is released. It's always changing and being updated and some distros like to publish with all the newest packages even though a lot of it isn't stable yet ( i.e., grub2, plymouth, upstart, ... ). SuSE ( back when it was called "SuSE" ) was very stable until it wasn't. PCLinuxOS was very stable until it wasn't ( the "Big Update" showed the flaw in the "rolling release " concept ). Fedora was out of control , now it's considered ( according to what I've read ) the most stable. Same with Ubuntu ( and by extension Mint - there's just so much Mint can do to correct the lack of adult supervision at Ubuntu ).

6 months to a year from now Ubuntu may be the stability king and Fedora will be in the "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" phase :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
limeysolutions

Post by limeysolutions »

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years, but I'm looking to change because of 10.04 (hence I'm on the Mint forum). Here's some of my reasons:

1. My old Sony laptop that just started displaying the screen properly with the 9.04 release is now not working again. The boot-up and hence the virtual terminals (F1-6) display garbage.

2. Also on my laptop it hangs when I tell it to shutdown now. It closes all the open windows and then just sits there until I hard power it off. Again this never used top happen.

3. The login screen on my desktop displays at the resolution of my smaller monitor, so my larger (primary) one looks crap, and I can't work out how to make it use different resolution(s).

4. The proprietary nVidea drivers no longer seem to work correctly. They produce the same output as on my laptop (which has the old intel graphics). So I have to use the sub-standard nouveau, which means I have jerky DVD playback, and I believe is also the cause of point number 3.

5. They've messed up the 'application notification' area. I can no longer hide/restore Amarok, or adjust the volume, using the tray icon. To hide/restore I have to left click the icon, then select the option from the menu (I believe this is the same for any media player now). Also they have added a 'Me' menu that doesn't seem to be of any use at all, even if you do use IM, which I don't; it just gets in the way. The only way to get rid of it is to remove the package. Then there is the other new largely pointless menu which displays stuff I don't want, regardless of whether I want it. I don't use Empathy, but, I can't get rid of that or the IM menu items without removing the whole menu (again by removing the package).

6. I think this was actually in 9.10, but I used to be able to just plug in my Verizon USB727 mobile internet dongle and it would just work. Then they added a connection setup wizard and it stopped working properly. Everytime I wanted to use it I had to remove the old connection and go through the wizard again. This isn't too much of a problem because it's almost always plugged into my server and shared from there, but very annoying when we go on holiday.

7. A general issue from all releases: Removal of options from the GUI screens. For example the login screen option page. This now has only a handful of the options it used to have. You are stuck with the Ubuntu login screen and that's that, and if you want to change any of the other setting (remote logins?) you can't. Maybe they've moved this, but I can't find it. I assume this is to stop it being too scary for novice uses, but wouldn't it be better to just move it to an advanced tab? Or better still have novice and advanced user types.

The main thing stopping me moving to Mint is the likely hood that all these problems are still there because it's based on Ubuntu. I don't have enough monthly data allowance to download it just to try it out. I see that there is a possibility of Mint being switched to a Debian base. I can't help but think that would be a very good move, but only as long as they can keep the application packages up to date. Debian maybe solid as a rock, but it's also pretty stale.

Colin =)
limeysolutions

Post by limeysolutions »

...and since my earlier post:

8. My Ubuntu Server 9.10 installation no longer boots after it installed the latest kernel update.

9. Ubuntu suddenly decided my screens were actually the other way around. Seriously, I was browsing for a solution to point 8, when the screen flicked to black and back. Everything looked the same except Opera had moved to the other screen. I tried to drag it back but my cursor stopped at the edge of the screen. I had to drag it off the other side (away from the other monitor) to get it over (on to the far side!). It took many attempts to get it to set back the correct way around, and then it switch back again after about 10 minutes.

Yes, I'm rapidly losing patience with Ubuntu. :(
anshuljain

Post by anshuljain »

I'm a relative newcomer to the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint world (an ex-Mandriva user) and have been evaluating Ubuntu/Mint for our desktop and deployment platforms at work. My observations on why 10.04 is bad:-

1. Plymouth: Ubuntu has been a newcomer to the Plymouth party (Mandriva's been using it) and they've fudged it up BIG time. There have been issues with very brief Plymouth (2-3 seconds), long periods of blanking before the bootsplash kicks in and the verbose screen thats visible when one shuts down the PC. You need to fiddle with various configuration files to get it working straight. Mint 9 was relatively simple.

2. Missing Menu Entries: I cannot figure out as to how can Google Chrome be missing from the menu when I've just installed it. The same goes for my development tools like Labview and hardware drivers like NI-VISA. Never happened with Karmic/Mint 8 or any other distro.

3. Grub2: The biggest piece of turd, IMO. Grub blanks for a long period (10 seconds) after pressing Enter. The delay is not as pronounced as in Karmic, but its bad in Lucid. No problems with the regular Grub on Mandriva and openSUSE.

4. Theme: The default theme in Ubuntu sucks for someone who uses it professionally at work for all activities. Mint's Shiki theme is far far more elegant to look and use. Ubuntu's theme looks cartoonish and seems to be geared towards the casual user.

5. Me Menu: A personal opinion- sucks (but then I'm not a Facebook/Twitter/Social Media user- I'm more of an old school 'net user)

Mint 9 smoothes over almost all of these problems, except for the Grub issue as its based on Ubuntu.
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

If you hate Ubuntu as an operating system then in turn you should be hating anything that is based on it too. That would include mint. This is not about what comes with the system or how it is configured, it is about the system itself. To say you hate would mean you hate it no matter how it is configured and Mint is pretty much a reconfiguration of Ubuntu. Mint works slightly differently, but that does not change the fact that the underlying system is that of Ubuntu.

So no, I do no hate Ubuntu, for if I did, I would not be using Mint.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Cheesethief wrote:If you hate Ubuntu as an operating system then in turn you should be hating anything that is based on it too. That would include mint. This is not about what comes with the system or how it is configured, it is about the system itself. To say you hate would mean you hate it no matter how it is configured and Mint is pretty much a reconfiguration of Ubuntu. Mint works slightly differently, but that does not change the fact that the underlying system is that of Ubuntu.

So no, I do no hate Ubuntu, for if I did, I would not be using Mint.
I dislike Ubuntu but I like Mint. Not liking something doesn't mean you cannot like something that is a vast improvement of what you don't like. Mint is everything that Ubuntu (as a distro) failed at.
beast2k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by beast2k »

Murdock wrote:Pulse Audio. That's a start.
I'll second that, sound is a bloody mess.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

well it doesn't actually suck but comes close in now way to Mint 9.
dislikes: window buttons on the left, purple background image (like green much better), software center (still preferring Synaptic)

Return to “Chat about Linux”