Webcam Recommendations

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CyberTaff

Webcam Recommendations

Post by CyberTaff »

Hi,

I am looking for some recommendations for webcams that will work with Skype on Mint 8.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Webcam Recommendations

Post by JasonLG »

I don't use Skype personally with it but my Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP works perfect with Mint. The MP is a good "middle of the rode" webcam I think I paid around $60 US for it. I think it would work great with Skype.
CyberTaff

Post by CyberTaff »

Thanks for the reply I will try that out.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

I am currently running Mint 9, but I think the advise to go for 'UVC' webcams would almost guarantee functionality with Linux, and with Skype under Linux. So, for instance, I successfully used the recent crop of Microsoft 'Lifecam' webcams with Skype on my Mint system (Lifecam Cinema and Lifecam HD-5000). They are top-of-the-line webcams that happened to be on sale in Canada over the last few months. I am very pleased that I don't have to sacrifice the 'best' video quality on a consumer webcam for the sake of Linux compatibility!

On the other hand, it *has* been a bit tricky for me, in Mint 9, to get 'pulseaudio' working properly and consistently -- I ended up creating a little auto-start script that do this. This was not Skype's fault or the webcam's fault, but it needed so that the microphone works for Skype. The other small annoyance is that my system occasionally 'forgets' which device is supposed to provide the primary 'microphone input' -- and I have had to adjust it to point back to the webcam mic.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Hardware Support”