Ubuntu 10.10 will only support i686 and higher

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wamukota

Ubuntu 10.10 will only support i686 and higher

Post by Wamukota »

Ubuntu 10.0 will only support processors i686 or higher. What will Mint do, stick with Ubuntu and drop our i586 users, move to Debian and support all processors, or ... ?

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/ubuntu-1 ... t-run.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joylove

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 will only support i686 and higher

Post by Joylove »

Was wondering how many are still actually using a Pentium or K6-II processor nowdays? AFAIK most of them released came with a very low ram ceiling their use as a desktop linux would be severely hampered.

(IIRC Intel VX/TX series can support up to 128mb/25mb respectively but the VX suffered a bug that putting a memory larger than 64mb resulted in poor performance.)

The only way the ram requiements can be satisfied using a 586 based cpu would be Via's chipset (Socket7/Super Socket7) which can support up to 512/768mb ram.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Considering i686 was 1995, I'm sure that it'll be fine. Matter of fact if you look here, you'll find that i586's wouldn't be sufficient for a full-fledged Desktop like Ubuntu. So no, there wouldn't be leaving the x<586 crowd behind.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

They should have done this years ago.
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

Makes perfect sense. If someone happens to have an older cpu, they can simply use an older version of Ubuntu/Mint or another distro. Only so long where you support old hardware before it starts limiting you with newer stuff.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

So much for "Linux for Human Beings". Nor everyone can afford to upgrade, no matter how "cheap" some think it is to do so. Some just don't have ANY spare cash.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

If you don't buy your morning coffee every day for a year, you can upgrade a 486 to something new. It's Linux for human beings, not Linux for the dinosaurs. If you're running hardware that requires i386 then it will be unlikely to run a modern installation of Ubuntu that well anyway.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

fair enough, don't think there's much pre 6x86 hardware left out there. and if your hardware is really THAT old you're better off with something like DSL or TinyCore anyway. Only sorry for Puppy, they aim at old hardware and just recently switched to Ubuntu packages ... ouch !
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Clearly some of you don't get it. It's called poverty. People don't have any spare cash. They're using someone's old hand-me-down, a recycled PC, etc. You're either being condescending, or simply don't get it.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
SalmonEater

Post by SalmonEater »

"Clearly some of you don't get it. It's called poverty. People don't have any spare cash. They're using someone's old hand-me-down, a recycled PC, etc. You're either being condescending, or simply don't get it."
I agree with you, Midnighter, especially with this worldwide economic Depression in which we find ourselves. Many are suffering and have to make do with discarded PCs and the like.
After some resarch into XD/NX Bit, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit#Linux, I can see Ubuntu had to make a decision that includes the "onward, damn the torpedoes" march of progress in kernel security measures. This still does not preclude provisions for those of whom we speak, however. Low-overhead emulators (see wiki article) could be included in the 32-bit versions upcoming, for example. Why not?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Look on the bright side, you have three years to save your pennies to buy a newer computer. That is when the LTS versions run out. Hopefully the economy will be back up to par by then.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Midnighter wrote:Clearly some of you don't get it. It's called poverty. People don't have any spare cash. They're using someone's old hand-me-down, a recycled PC, etc. You're either being condescending, or simply don't get it.
I'm not well educated in this area, but according to my brief research the original Pentium processor was released March 22, 1993 - this is a i586 processor. We're talking about i386 processors over 20 years old. These machines cannot likely run Ubuntu anyway...we're talking about the 1980's. :shock: It's not like their dropping 32-bit support or something dramatic.

There's accommodating old PC's, but seriously, how far back does one need to ensure compatibility...

EDIT: My argument is reduced because I somehow thought we were only talking about i386. So I guess in reality support for processors before the Pentium Pro will be dropped. So many PC's before 95'. These PC's would probably still not, or barely make the minimum requirements for an Ubuntu installation though.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

axel668 wrote:Only sorry for Puppy, they aim at old hardware and just recently switched to Ubuntu packages ... ouch !
Shouldn't be a problem, Puppy can be built from pretty much any distro with Woof.
If they need to, they can easily switch to Debian, Slackware, or T2 packages.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Midnighter wrote:So much for "Linux for Human Beings". Nor everyone can afford to upgrade, no matter how "cheap" some think it is to do so. Some just don't have ANY spare cash.
i686 goes back to the 233MHz Pentium II and 500MHz Athlon processors. That's up to 13 years old. Computers were actually more expensive back then. I doubt affordability is an issue these days.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Midnighter wrote:So much for "Linux for Human Beings". Nor everyone can afford to upgrade, no matter how "cheap" some think it is to do so. Some just don't have ANY spare cash.
You do realise i586 and earlier is 80's/90's right? Your current computer is at least at i686 level or higher. Ubuntu is just dropping support for the truly ancient stuff that wouldn't be able to run the OS anyway. Get your facts straight please.

Also, the Pentium Pro and the Athlon were released in 95 and 99 respectively, so I very much doubt you have anything older. This isn't high end computing we're talking about, this is cutting off the ancient stuff that no average user actually USES any more.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

And let me add this: if you don't cut off old support you end up like MS Windows--supporting legacy hardware and finding bugs in it. There are distributions designed for people who have old machines. Puppy, DSL... you can find more.

Return to “Chat about Linux”