Reinstall Mint now have two icons for NTFS volume on desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

mint and ubuntu will find and list OS's on all the disks in your system.
so it is normal to have a choice between OS's to boot in grub, but by default it should boot mint.

I would need more information about your systems configuration and how you boot now compared to last time.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

yes this is totally normal.
That is the way it is meant to boot.

what happened the second time is that mint could see the primary drive with windows on it so it added it to the grub boot menu.

what also happened is that mint wrote grub to the MBR (master boot record) of the primary disk (windows).
so now if you use F12 and choose the second disk (mint) it may not boot.
but since you installed to it the first time grub is also in its MBR and so may boot it anyway.

well if you mix up the hard drives now you may have booting problems so please ask questions if this happens.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

I had this same thing happen to me when I did a re-install. I recommend booting from your LiveCD and manipulating your partitions using GParted. You may need to re-install afterwards.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Reinstall Mint now have two icons for NTFS volume on desktop

Post by antiquexray »

mschilling wrote:The last time I installed Mint I didn't see the two icons, only one showed on the desktop. Also now, when I boot, I get a screen prompting me to pick an os, Linux or XP, to boot from. I should have only one os on each drive, so there shouldn't be an option. Previously, with the first install, I picked the drive to boot from and the installed os was booted. Any idea what I did wrong with the second install? Somehow my system now sees the main hdd as a dual boot, I think, whereas I have a second hdd for Mint.
I have the same...check out this link:

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ion&t=3594

After learning why they were being mounted, I was able to remove one of the icons. The problem is that it then wouldn't show my flash drive, cd, etc., when mounted.

Return to “Beginner Questions”