new to Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DennisDilley

new to Linux

Post by DennisDilley »

Hey all, I finally broke the chain to MS and have been using Mint as my first real Linux OS. Wahoo! :D I set it up as dual boot, partitioned hard drive and am using it now. I have to hand it to the team who put this together. It was easier to get started than I thought it might be. I thought it was going to be like going back to DOS. I studied Unix years ago and I did not want anything to do with that. I tried to load Ubuntu last year on my old Dell and had so many issues that I just gave up. This time I sent for the Cd install instead, and it went smoooth! I am having a boot up issue where it locks up on me, but I was having that in Vista also. I am afraid it is my hard drive cause the ram tests out good. I like Mint more everyday now as I use it. Also my printer driver for Lexmark 3430 is an issue, but I need a new printer anyway. Keep up the good work.
Dennis - Pentium Dual Core 2.14mhz, 2 meg. ram, 250mb hard drive, GMA x3100 graphics
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: new to Linux

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello DennisDilley,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
You will find lots of information here and on our community site http://community.linuxmint.com/ to help you with any difficulties you may be experiencing.
If you can't find what you need,just ask,either here or on our IRC channels:open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be connected automatically to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
kentboylinux

Re: new to Linux

Post by kentboylinux »

DennisDilley wrote:Hey all, I finally broke the chain to MS and have been using Mint as my first real Linux OS. Wahoo! :D I set it up as dual boot, partitioned hard drive and am using it now. I have to hand it to the team who put this together. It was easier to get started than I thought it might be. I thought it was going to be like going back to DOS. I studied Unix years ago and I did not want anything to do with that. I tried to load Ubuntu last year on my old Dell and had so many issues that I just gave up. This time I sent for the Cd install instead, and it went smoooth! I am having a boot up issue where it locks up on me, but I was having that in Vista also. I am afraid it is my hard drive cause the ram tests out good. I like Mint more everyday now as I use it. Also my printer driver for Lexmark 3430 is an issue, but I need a new printer anyway. Keep up the good work.
Dennis - Pentium Dual Core 2.14mhz, 2 meg. ram, 250mb hard drive, GMA x3100 graphics

Hi Dennis
Welcome mate, I'm a newbie to, I'm dual booting with Mint 9, Ubuntu 10.04 and 2 windows 7, mint is so cool, have you tried looking on the Lexmark website for Linux drivers i understand they are supporting some of there hardware on Linux.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”