Change of desktop workspace switching

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldal

Change of desktop workspace switching

Post by oldal »

Hi,

I want a simple desktop switching between my 4 desktop workspaces. By right clicking on the bottom panel I've added the Wall type workspace switch. It is very nice - I like it a lot. I want the workspace switching to take place when I click on the Wall workspace switch and not by any other method.

Currently when the mouse pointer is very close to the side, the workspace flips to the next one. How do I get rid of this behaviour now that I have a nice workspace switch on the bottom panel?

Thank you for your patience and your help.

I am using a freshly installed linuxmint 9, a 32 bit OS, a 64 bit amd64 processor and an inexpensive video card.

OldAl.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gn2

Re: Change of desktop workspace switching

Post by gn2 »

One way is to right-click on the desktop, click "Change Desktop Background" then "Visual Effects" then select "None".

There's probably another way which allows retention of the other (i.m.o. annoying) effects but I'm afraid I don't know how.

One way to switch desktops is Ctrl + Alt + Left or Right arrow
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Go to the Menu, go to Preferences, then Compiz Config Settings Manager.

Here, in the Desktop section, select desktop wall and in the window that appears, select the Bindings tab. Here you can change what actions make the viewport switch happen. Expand the 'Move within Wall' option, and on the move left and move right options, change them to 'Disabled'. This will stop the workspace switching when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen.

Any problems, feel free to reply. :)
eejd

Post by eejd »

Ctrl - Alt - arrow does not work for me; perhaps conflicting / interfering with ibus set up? For now, I just mouse-click on the desktop to get there.

In any event, is there a way to reassign the key combo to change Desktops? How about Alt-N where N is the number of the desktop.

Also, I don't know how to use the Desktop Cube / Rotate / Desktop Wall. Once you enable them, how do you invoke their function?

Thanks for your help.
oldal

Re:[solved] Change of desktop workspace switching

Post by oldal »

Old Marcus wrote:Go to the Menu, go to Preferences, then Compiz Config Settings Manager.
Here, in the Desktop section, select desktop wall and in the window that appears, select the Bindings tab. Here you can change what actions make the viewport switch happen. Expand the 'Move within Wall' option, and on the move left and move right options, change them to 'Disabled'. This will stop the workspace switching when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen.
Thank you for the accurate description, Marcus. I followed you advice and disabled switching. The workspaces now are switched by clicking on the small workspace display that I am used to. BTW, the workspace display on the bottom tool bar is rather nice, as it clearly indicates visually what is open within each workspace.

Great advice, promptly given accurate information! Thanks for other replies, too. Good try - greatly appreciated.

OldAl.
hamhamt

Post by hamhamt »

for anyone having this problem (like myself) still in the newest version of linux mint (olivia)

System Settings --> Windows --> Enable Edge Flip

accomplishes the same feat

Return to “Beginner Questions”