user-dirs.dirs is reset every boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dna100

user-dirs.dirs is reset every boot

Post by dna100 »

I make changes to the config file, "~/.config/user-dirs.dirs" to set different default directories but when I reboot the file is reverted to the the original. I even experimented by setting the file with root ownership and access only but it still gets reset.

Any clues?

Thanks
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: user-dirs.dirs is reset every boot

Post by remoulder »

Do you have User-Folders running in Startup Applications? If so untick it. Also changing the file directly is not a great idea, better to use something like Ubuntu Tweak to do this. Check you are still the owner and can make changes if you've been accessing it as root.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Zon

Re: user-dirs.dirs is reset every boot

Post by Zon »

This is old, but the first result I found while searching... so, since I figured it out...

xdg-user-dirs-update is run at startup, which checks /etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf, and if enabled=True there sets your XDG folders in accord with /etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults

So, you can either change the defaults, or in the conf file set enabled=False (and then it will use your ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs)
When you set it how you want it, just run xdg-user-dirs-update manually (or log out & in)

Return to “Xfce”