Xorg woes - mintupdate/synaptic manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dunnie
Level 1
Level 1

Xorg woes - mintupdate/synaptic manager

Post by dunnie »

Well for the first time in ages, I have been forced this morning to do a total OS reload of Linux Mint 8 (unable to use Mint 9, as Xorg/Xserver is just too buggy to make it usable - tried, with various edger ppa updates, but with no success). My synaptic manager decided to update Xorg and associated drivers to the latest version late last night, which was fine, until I started my pc this morning - greeted with a Xserver crash message, and a message to use the default fallback Xserver configuration- which also didn't work. I suspect it was because I was using a backport version of the Xserver-Intel driver (version 2.4 rather than version 2.9 which ships with Linux Mint 8/9) - because of a similar issue with Linux Mint 9 (the default version 2.9 is unworkable on my dell dimension).

So if anyone out there is also using the version 2.4 of the xserver-intel driver,I would seriously suggest not updating Xorg, unless you want to do a complete OS reload...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Xorg woes - mintupdate/synaptic manager

Post by remoulder »

So why are you posting this in bugs? As you clearly installed (possibly) unstable (edgers) and older drivers, this cannot be considered a bug in the released version.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”