Win2000 in VirtualBox don't see music CDs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Win2000 in VirtualBox don't see music CDs

Post by MartinRF »

Folks,

Based on input from some of you I have installed VirtualBox to be able
to run Win2000 without dual booting. This has worked out quite well but
not to 100%. My biggest concern is related to music CDs:

I have been a complete failure when it comes to persuade music CDs
to show up in Win2000. Does anyone know how to make that happen?
I may be old fashioned but I want to transfer CDs to MiniDisc and
Sony's program only runs on Win2000 or later.

/Martin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Haven't got the slightest idea - why not ask at virtualbox?
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Community
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinRF »

Good thinking!
I tried that a week ago but got no respons.

I have also browsed the VirtualBox forum a bit and I am not the only one
with this problem. No clear-cut solution emerged though.

/Martin
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MartinRF wrote:Good thinking!
I tried that a week ago but got no respons.
Try their IRC channel. And you are sure you installed Music CD support for Windows 2000? I thought this 'feature' was off per default on NT4 and Win2K and needed to be installed extra .... I may be wrong though.
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinRF »

scorp123 wrote: Try their IRC channel. And you are sure you installed Music CD support for Windows 2000? I thought this 'feature' was off per default on NT4 and Win2K and needed to be installed extra .... I may be wrong though.
Thanks scorp, I'll try out the IRC channel as well.

I don't use Windows a whole lot and assumed music CD support was included. I don't know how to really check if it is but I found a CD player which I take indicates that music CDs indeed are supported.

If I insert a music CD the CD player tells me it is a data CD. Somehow the music gets 'lost in translation'. I don't even know if Mint, VirtualBox or Win2k is to blame.

/Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

Could be that W2k is to old for music through the IDE cable....
(and needs a separate cable)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote:Could be that W2k is to old for music through the IDE cable....
Ahem :roll: ... that's only relevant if you try to listen to the music on the CD. Windows should nontheless not see a music CD as a "data CD", and without IDE-cable you wouldn't even have access to the CD drive .... :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

MartinRF wrote: I don't use Windows a whole lot and assumed music CD support was included.
As far as I remember NT4 (and Win2K too?) you have to enable music CD support in the Windows setup, e.g. in the "Additional Components" or whatever this is called.

Also ... try this web site:
http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/to ... oblems.htm
Husse

Post by Husse »

Husse wrote:
Could be that W2k is to old for music through the IDE cable....
Ahem :roll: ... that's only relevant if you try to listen to the music on the CD. Windows should nontheless not see a music CD as a "data CD", and without IDE-cable you wouldn't even have access to the CD drive ....
I'm not quite sure you are right here scorp (apart of course from the part about without IDE cable)
In "the beginning" you had to have a separate sound cable from the CD drive to the sound card to get sound.
This is some time ago so I may remember wrong but I think the music CDs at the time were identified as "data" in Windows but still played music through the separate cable. I don't have some old enough equipment to test
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Husse wrote: In "the beginning" you had to have a separate sound cable from the CD drive to the sound card to get sound.
I still have that here as bus-mastering this stuff over the IDE cable through the main bus doesn't seem to work on my desktop systems.
Husse wrote: I think the music CDs at the time were identified as "data"
If this is really true then it just proves again that Microsoft doesn't give one stinky bit about adhering to standards. Music CD's and data CD's are clearly different standards, e.g. "Red Book" for CD-Audio and "Yellow Book" (CD-ROM) and "Orange Book" (CD-R + CD-RW) for CD-data. An operating system that adheres to these ISO standards should in no way mistake an audio CD for a data CD and vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Books
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh dear - you got another chance to hug Microsoft :P
I'm not quite sure but about the whole story but I clearly remember getting music CDs as "Data" in Win95
On the other hand not much was OK with win95 :)

Return to “Software & Applications”