Cassandra XFCE Community Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Kyran
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kyran »

ElEdwards wrote:Oh, one thing I have to learn is terminal commands..... I'm used to using 'gedit' in Gnome Terminal..... what is the equivalent command in XFCE Terminal?
In vanilla Xfce I use mousepad.

Anyone know when xfcemintConfig and xfcemintDesktop are going to be added to the repositories? Or at least where I would be able to get debs of them? I'm using Xfce on Cassandra BETA0014 and wouldn't mind benefiting from Xfce specific Mint packages. :)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Before I read here about Nano, I was in Terminal and typed:
gedit --help
I got a message saying it wasn't installed and to type
sudo apt-get install gedit
so that's what I did. Good thing or bad thing? :( I've already used gedit to edit (successfully) /boot/grub/menu.lst

Also, being used to Gnome, I looked for but couldn't find:
- how to assign keyboard shortcuts to the volume control
- how to assign sounds to events

....but otherwise, I find XFCE Mint very fast and smooth! :)

Thanks for any help.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

I'm back, finished the d/l, burned fine and ran the livecd.

my hat is off to you. This is probably the single best implementation of Xfce I have seen yet.

I was impressed by the customization of Xfce and the method of using the xfce tools in mintconfig.

the logout screen is tremendous.

this will be a permanent install.

thank you for a job well done,

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

ElEdwards wrote:Before I read here about Nano, I was in Terminal and typed:
gedit --help
I got a message saying it wasn't installed and to type
sudo apt-get install gedit
so that's what I did. Good thing or bad thing? :( I've already used gedit to edit (successfully) /boot/grub/menu.lst
That's ok, don't worry about it.

When you try to use gedit, it doesn't was installed on XFCE, so, when you typed "sudo apt-get install gedit", you got it.
Now, you can use both, NANO or Gedit, for edit files.

I think that its god.

Take care you
Linux Mint apps translator
gadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gadi »

I've downloaded XFCe Edition... It's pretty, and it has apps that I've never seen (Wicd), and it is useful! He catced my configuration momently, and connected it.
After, I was watching the menus. Gnome-mplayer isn't insalled.
Whith "gmplayer" you refer "mplayer" (synaptic option) or that player? (nice, too, and I have problems whith default mplayer, whith this not, because I have a wide resolution monitor).

Whatever, I've "tunned" BETA 003, and I don't want to delete all and install Stable version. Can you put the new apps on the mint repo? We could download it easily, or in a .mint file.

Thanks and congratulations for the work, it's nice. XFCE 4evah!

Adeus!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gadi wrote:I've downloaded XFCe Edition... It's pretty, and it has apps that I've never seen (Wicd), and it is useful! He catced my configuration momently, and connected it.
After, I was watching the menus. Gnome-mplayer isn't insalled.
Whith "gmplayer" you refer "mplayer" (synaptic option) or that player? (nice, too, and I have problems whith default mplayer, whith this not, because I have a wide resolution monitor).

Whatever, I've "tunned" BETA 003, and I don't want to delete all and install Stable version. Can you put the new apps on the mint repo? We could download it easily, or in a .mint file.

Thanks and congratulations for the work, it's nice. XFCE 4evah!

Adeus!
If you type gmplayer in terminal or use the run program it will launch the mplayer with a gui.(gmplayer)
If you use terminal and open a file with mplayer there is just a box with the video playing with no gui controls.
Gnome MPlayer is just another gui wrapper for mplayer just like gmplayer, kmpayer and smplayer.
The apps will be there with the upgrade instructions, I'm working on.
gadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gadi »

Thanks for the info! I'll wait.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Merlwiz: Great job. I like what you did with XFCE since the beta.
pvossen
Level 1
Level 1

Downloaded Slow Until The Evening Last Night.

Post by pvossen »

Downloaded slowly most the day. I downloaded at night here in the States,
and it worked fine.

I already have Linux Mint Gnome Cassandra and its great. I tried the beta
XFCE, but this one is much better. I now have both Gnome and the XFCE
versions working well.

Zenwalk works ok on another partition, but just cannot even compete
with the simplicity of Linux Mint. Yet, its fun to tinker with.

Patrick
North Platte, Nebraska USA

Epsilon wrote:
Elven wrote:it is downloading really slow :(
Try using torrents, is not lighning fast but is hell better than ddl right now.
kiwiboyus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwiboyus »

I have been running this on my older Toshiba laptop for a couple of days now and I do like the responsiveness compared to when I had the Gnome version installed. It's taken a little tweaking but I have Compiz Fusion installed and running correctly at last but I am having two issues still.

1. My iPod (Fat32 formatted), will not mount correctly. It shows up on my desktop but I can not open it, if I right click I see the option to Mount Volume but it always fails.

2. I can not figure out how to add new icons. I have tried unzipping and copying to the icons folder but I keep getting a permissions error. I also have not been able to figure out how to get root privileges to this new file manager.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Wh1sper »

I've tested xfce edition a bit.
See my other posting for the resolution problem in hardware sector.
But I have an another one, not sure if it is a general problem.
https://zockertown.de/s9y/uploads/linux/schritt7.png
so far so good...
https://zockertown.de/s9y/uploads/linux/fail.png
If wished, I can provide some more infos for this.
For me it is no problem, it was just a test.
After all nothing harmed my disks this is the good news :)
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

Kinne wrote:Hm, was I the only person who had problems connecting to http://www.linuxmint.com for the last two days?

Well, one question concerning the XFCE edition. Where is a button on the desktop to shutdown/reboot/standby the computer?
No, you don't. What really happened was that CLem was changing the DSN and he couldn't finished successful. But, now the Linux MInt forum is already working
Thanks CLem
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Back to Mint Cassandra 3.0....

Post by ElEdwards »

Well, I like how quick and easy the XFCE Community Edition installed but it's just not for me.... I guess I'm kinda used to Gnome, so I've gone back to it.

That's not to say the XFCE Comm Ed isn't a great one... it is! :)

El
michaelpo
Level 1
Level 1

wicd cisco aironet

Post by michaelpo »

I had the same card and same problem. I got it figured out. Wicd did not automatically configured the cisco card. I had to go to preference and enter "eth1" at the wifi field. I dont know why wicd cannot do this automatically. It should. At first I thought XFCE mint was no good because of this wicd problem.

persev wrote:Tried the live cd on my Thinkpad t-23 and it looked good but I was hoping for the "slab" type of menu. Problem was that wicd wouldn't connect to my wireless network, didn't even show a network even though my Cisco airo cards lights were flashing. Also, I didn't try to install because I wasn't sure if my Savage S3 card's direct rendering would work (it hasn't with any Ubuntu based distros since dapper). Everything else looked good though, nice selection of software, etc.
Anyone else having problems with the Savage cards lately?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Thanks to everyone who helped test the beta, reported any problems and added their ideas.
I have sent the upgrade Guide to Clem so he can add it to the Wiki.
I have also made a Guide for adding Exaile hotkeys here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9147#29147
Kinne wrote:Well, one question concerning the XFCE edition. Where is a button on the desktop to shutdown/reboot/standby the computer?
You can add a panel plugin called Actions Button.
You can also add a Launcher to the desktop with the command xfce4-session-logout to launch the options you want.
To lock the screen use Control+Alt+Delete.
michaelpo wrote:I had the same card and same problem. I got it figured out. Wicd did not automatically configured the cisco card. I had to go to preference and enter "eth1" at the wifi field. I dont know why wicd cannot do this automatically. It should. At first I thought XFCE mint was no good because of this wicd problem.
The team at Wicd are working on the next release which will better wireless and wired support.
If you tell them what happened they may be able to fix it and add it to the next release. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/phpbb/
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

To : merlwiz79

Thanks for your guide for adding Exaile hotkeys.
It's really useful.

I will post in the spanish community and in my blog too.

Cheers

:D
nbusy

Post by nbusy »

Yesterday I installed the Mint XFCE on the second PC at home (pretty old one - PII 400MHz 256MB) in replace of PCLOS 2007.
The first impression - it's AWESOME! I couldn't believe it based on XFCE. I tried SAM 2007 (XFCE version of PCLOS) some months ago but just wasn't able to use it and moved to a standard KDE version.
Working with Mint XFCE was quite different. Everything was smooth and reasonable fast. My congratulations to everyone taking part in the release.

P.S. My first (main) PC runs under Mint 3 Cassandra standard edition without any problem. So, I enjoy complete moving into Mint community.

Thanks,
Nick
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I put the XFCE version on an old P3 system and it runs REALLY well!

CPU: Pentium-III 800MHz (slot-1)
RAM: 512MB PC133
Motherboard: Asus P3B-F (i440BX)
Video: ATI Radeon 64 AGP
Audio: Soundblaster Live PCI
Network: Matrox 10/100 PCI NIC
DVD: Plextor 708A
HD: Maxtor 20GB

This thing rocks the XFCE edition. I thought it would run okay, but it runs much faster than I expected.

It can even use Beryl!!

I was going to throw this old P3 away, but now I'm going to add a 2nd 20G drive and bump the RAM up to 768MB and find this computer a home.

Thanks to Merlwiz and everyone else that made this release possible. You did a really awesome job! This is truely a release to be proud of.

Aloha Tim
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Fantastic!!

Post by ZenDJiNN »

Words fail me as to how to describe this most amazing distro. Everything works really well, XFCE is finally becoming well honed & a pleasure to use and Mint Install is a dream!! :)

Thank You to everyone on the team, but a special thanks to you merlwiz, for making this happen, and making this the one distro that works straight out of the box on my laptop..... :)

I'm loving it and using it a lot!! :)
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Awesome release! It's currently on my wife's laptop. A couple of questions, seeing as the actual Mint XFCE forum seems a little.......bare. Synaptics (the touchpad driver) won't scroll. Anybody have a clue about this?

Also, is there an XFCE applet that handles CPU throttling? I want the processor to step down when the laptop is on battery. Thoughts?

Again, great release!

--Akshun J

Return to “Releases & Announcements”