Sutdown issue, i'm lost!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Sutdown issue, i'm lost!

Post by psycosmyth »

I have a big problem!
I have ran into a shutdown problem with Kernel 2.6.20+ and my laptop.

I get a message about powernowd and the lack of a folder. I don't have details since the message is so quick.

I have a 2year old Dell inspiron 1200 with a Celeron 1.2mh and the standard intel chipset.

The effect is identical to holding down the powerbutton for a force-off. It makes a "CLINK" sound when this happens. It's my understanding that this is bad for the processor.

I am seriously worried because my two favorite distros will soon be at this Kernel level, Mint and PCLOS.

This occured with Ubuntu Fiesty in all flavors and Sabayon. A kernel revert cures the problem. I have posted and searched to find answers but no help so far.

You guys are top notch, so I hope I can get resolve here.

Thank you, Kurt

Found this just now https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/li ... +bug/67810

This could do it
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It makes a "CLINK" sound when this happens. It's my understanding that this is bad for the processor.
You don't have to afraid it hurts your processor - it never will. Maybe your harddrive as it is a laptop, but if you're not moving it around it's safe too.
Unfortunately you don't give enough details for me to investigate - but you seem to have found something.
If you post the exact processor and chipset and preferably other details I can at least look around.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

your right Husse, it's not the processor. The heads of some sata hard-drives for laptops are not being stopped properly and is becoming more common as people install more newer distros. There seems to be some patches and a fix in 22 :idea:
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

Just to be proper, the 2.6.22 resolves this issue.

Return to “Other topics”