Starting heavy development on Mint 9 Fluxbox.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Starting heavy development on Mint 9 Fluxbox.

Post by Kendall »

Finally after a bazillion other things have been wrapped up (mostly) I have time to start bearing down on the Isadora Fluxbox release. I think I have most of the packages somewhere in the neighborhood of being done and I'm about to start heavily testing the new mint-fm2.

A few notes:

- I'll be using LXDM instead of SLiM this time around. It's smaller and has better language support so I'm taking full advantage of this.

- tint2 will be the default panel. Anyone is more than welcome to enable to stock panel if they want, and the xfce4-panel is a dependency for a few things so it'll be available as well.

- Animated Flash controls are likely to still be a bit of an issue for some people. I've isolated the bug and it's in Fluxbox itself, which appears to no longer be maintained.

- Thunar will still be the default file manager. Some people asked for pcmanfm, but I feel thunar is a better fit in Fluxbox.

I'm usually around a pretty good bit if you have any questions/comments/suggestions. Thanks for your patience.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
string-serenade

Re: Starting heavy development on Mint 9 Fluxbox.

Post by string-serenade »

Wow! I'm looking for it! Can you tell us an approximative scheduled timing in order to have the Mint 9 Fluxbox?
I prefear also PcManFM, but it doesn't metter...
James360

Post by James360 »

Good news! I am looking forward to the Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox. I am glad to hear that tint2 will be the default panel. I don't know if the new version pcmanfm is better than Thunar. So far, I like Thunar better than PCmanFM. Thunar loads my pictures faster, and it loads all pictures. PCManFM does not load some pictures.

I am wondering if you would add Chromium as a default browser? I love the fast start up, and it does not seem bloated. It seems stable so far. I haven't gotten any crashes yet.

Thanks again Kendall!

James
charlie01

Post by charlie01 »

Im also excited.I love Tint2,And think thats a great choice.
Both file managers are good,I think PCman is a little quicker,
but i prefer Thunar,Because its better with thumbnails whether its pictures or videos.
ffmpegthumbnailer works like a charm on it.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

James360 wrote:I am wondering if you would add Chromium as a default browser?
No, I can't do that. It's not my decision regarding the default browser, but if someone could get the Mint custom search plugin to work with chromium, it might be a possibility.
vincent

Post by vincent »

While I don't think the Mint custom plugin would work, adding Mint's search engine and making it the default should work.

Open up Chromium, right click on the search bar, and then select "Edit search engines". Click the Add button, and then paste the following into the dialog box under URL: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0026834153 ... &sa=Search (Name and keyword can be anything, it doesn't matter.) Then just make that the default, and then when you do a search, you'll be using Mint's customized search, but without the plugin. Better than nothing though. :P
Ranković

Post by Ranković »

Excellent news, both tint2 and Thunar choices. Thunar is an excellent file manager, I use it now.
The only complaint I had with the previous version of Mint Fluxbox was font rendering, and there was no easy way to change it either. The fontss rendered blurry on my 15.4'' notebook.
Other than that I think it's really great that Mint has a whole edition dedicated to Fluxbox.
string-serenade

Ranković wrote:...it's really great that Mint has a whole edition dedicated to Fluxbox.
yes! right at all!

but about my question:
string-serenade wrote:Can you tell us an approximative scheduled timing in order to have the Mint 9 Fluxbox?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

string-serenade wrote:Can you tell us an approximative scheduled timing in order to have the Mint 9 Fluxbox?
Nope. :wink:
Mizh

Post by Mizh »

The current Mint Fluxbox version was the first linux distribution that I started to like and use more serious (and it is still my favorite of those I've tried), so I am very exited to see the result of this development...
But take your time and make it nice :)
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm now that's something I'm really looking forward to. I'd say I can't wait but I guess I can if the result gets even more awesome by it ;)
A pure openbox one would be fund too though - mintbang :D
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm dialing in a handful more details at the moment. I'm probably 2 or 3 spins away from having something to upload for testing. I'm posting this from LinuxMint-9-Fluxbox-DEV-009.iso and with the exception of a number of defaults, she seems to be passing all of the tests. I need to update 4 packages before DEV-010 is ready and I should have those done at some point this evening. One of the package updates involves ripping out and replacing an application so I'm presuming that DEV-010 will need to be debugged a bit on that front and DEV-011 will be the next full system test to see if she's ready for uploading.

Wish me luck.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Presently uploading DEV-014. For those who wish, you can now monitor the progress on community.linuxmint.com. It should be all the way uploaded here in about another hour.
Ranković

Post by Ranković »

Sweet :) Thanks and good luck!
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

What about migrating next release of fluxbox CE to openbox? :D

Its a more active project that doesn't have the flash bug, and it's more lightweight. It could share more code with lxde edition so could save some work, furthermore those 2 editions could be installed easily next to each other withput any conflict (and because of the lots of shared thing wouldn't require a lots of disk space) and openbox can easily be configured to act similarily to the current fluxbox release in almost every way.
demoka

Post by demoka »

Wouldn't be nice to add the Xfce or LXDE menu as well to resolve the menu issues in fluxbox?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

demoka wrote:Wouldn't be nice to add the Xfce or LXDE menu as well to resolve the menu issues in fluxbox?
That would kind of defeat the purpose of Fluxbox in my opinion. Shane has done an absolutely fantastic job with this rendition of mint-fm2 and I think you'll find it to be quite nice.
string-serenade

Kendall wrote:
demoka wrote:Wouldn't be nice to add the Xfce or LXDE menu...?
That would kind of defeat the purpose of Fluxbox...
I agree totally. Fluxbox is light! It must be so.
I'm looking for it... :mrgreen:
xazax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xazax »

Will there be an update path from Mint 8?

Return to “Software & Applications”