New to LM: Some problems after install!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

welcome to Mint my Fifth Element friend.

1. I never trust suspend or the like. looks like you found the best solution currently around.
2. what the!
3. I expect it is a video driver issue.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

sudo asks for your password in the terminal.
you can use sudo to start CLI command/apps and GUI apps as root.

gksu asks for your password in a GUI window and is best for starting GUI applications as root.

so gksu is best used in startup scripts for GUI applications.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Jives
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jives »

To use sudo without having it prompt for password, edit yout /etc/sudoers file using this command:

Code: Select all

sudo visudo -f /etc/sudoers
find where it says "root", and and add on the next line:

Code: Select all

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
Substituting "username" for your username.
Husse

Post by Husse »

NO NO NO!
The solution above removes the use of password for you at all times - this means you are as wide open for abuse as a Windows user!
I thought of removing the text as it is dangerous to use but it can easily be found on the net
NEVER EVER DO THIS!!
You could make a script that has this command for the specific task, much better :)
The odd error message is something that "goes on" in Bianca KDE for some reason - but never mind

Return to “Beginner Questions”