Linux Mint 9 KDE RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
William_G

Re: Linux Mint 9 KDE RC released!

Post by William_G »

I'll be sticking with Gnome thanks.

I've looked into the whole almost religious debate over KDE versus Gnome and it seems Gnome is ahead in numbers of people using it and in my opinion its usability and stability.

One thing that has always puzzled me is they say that KDE is more like Windows and Gnome is more like Mac.
This no where near the truth no where near it at all, neither of them looks like Mac they both resemble Windows.

confused ????
Leit

Post by Leit »

William_G wrote:I'll be sticking with Gnome thanks.

I've looked into the whole almost religious debate over KDE versus Gnome and it seems Gnome is ahead in numbers of people using it and in my opinion its usability and stability.

One thing that has always puzzled me is they say that KDE is more like Windows and Gnome is more like Mac.
This no where near the truth no where near it at all, neither of them looks like Mac they both resemble Windows.

confused ????
You've seen only the Mint-Versions of those desktops, could that be? If you look at the "original" GNOME design, you will see, that it isn't Windows-like at all. Even KDE isn't realy windowslike since KDE 4 (my opinion). But all in all this is only rethorical, cause if you want it you can let it Look like you want, even an GNOME-like looking KDE an otherwise, it's all just a thing of configuration. With a bit know how and some time, GNOME or KDE doesn't look like GNOME or KDE anmymore, they will just look like YOUR desktop environment... even with kinda 3D-DE, which neither Windows or MAC can offer to you (or at least not SO easy).

so the whole discussion about the eye-candy is unnecessary, the only intressting are the programs dependencies to the DE, and i personally just prefer programs, made for KDE
(before the argument with the independency between GNOME and KDE comes --> think about the libarys and programms they use and about the difference in performance it makes between using a program for your DE or using one for the other)

greetings, Leit
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I like kde better, but but whenever I start a newbie out on Linux, I always start them on gnome because of it's rock solid simplicity. I do this because
I believe they are less likely to screw something up and call me to help them fix it. :lol:
olligod

Post by olligod »

William_G wrote:I'll be sticking with Gnome thanks.

confused ????

It is true: since Ubuntu came, Gnome has overtaken KDE. Before Ubuntu, KDE was the most popular.
I do believe, KDE is amazing technology. Look at the plasmoids and other things.

But THERE IS QUALITY ASSURANCE SYSTEMATICALLY lacking in KDE.
I find this very sad.

The problems stem from original KDE ist seems, but the KDE capability, Ubuntu side, is also lacking compared to Gnome staff.
As Mint is a child of Ubuntu/Kubuntu they can only go with what they inherit. And yet again, at Mint, I believe just 1 person (boo) doing his utmost best.
That compounds problems (not boo, but the fact that he is alone).

Whether you prefer the look-and-feel of KDE or Gnome is, of course, a matter of taste (I prefer KDE).
But Gnome Versions are just of outstanding quality and stability, especially at Mint.

Gnome 3.0 due out soon may change that temporaily. Let's see whether they avoid the mistakes KDE made when introducing KDE-4.x, where their main
people (i.e. A. Seigo) once famously blogged facing the lack of stability that they ".... have to enjoy the pain a bit".

I dream up a rock solid KDE, but in the meantime take the rock solid Gnome 2.x, or cope with the occasional pitfalls of KDE-4.x

**** By the way, Mint-9-KDE stable has been uploaded to the servers.****

I like to be one of the first to spread the word - so here we go. :D
I will seed as soon as a bittorrent is available.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

William_G wrote:I've looked into the whole almost religious debate over KDE versus Gnome and it seems Gnome is ahead in numbers of people using it.
olligod wrote:It is true: since Ubuntu came, Gnome has overtaken KDE.
Regardless of if that's true or not, I wanted to point out to everyone that just because something is the most popular doesn't make it the best. *cough*

Joe
davolc

Post by davolc »

GNOME its dull and boring!!!! Everytime i show people a Gnome Desktop they just scream and want to run away, They Say that they prefer Windows 7, But when I Showed then KDE 4.4.5 thats a different story................ They just say WOW and stick to looking to all the KDE features, Looks and feel, KDE apps, they look better and Gnome apps.

Gnome aims for ease and simplicity and when you aim for simplicity then you cannot make it feature rich.

KDE is feature rich and completely customizable, I could show you features in KDE not there in Windows, again Gnome can't be feature rich because of different goals.

Gnome will always be dull and boring no matter what you do, you really can't make it look cool, it doesnt impress anybody.
olligod

Post by olligod »

Yeah - so this thread is fast becoming
KDE VERSUS GNOME RELIGIOUS WAR thread NUMBER 10999 on planet earth ...
If my entries ever inspired to do that, I apologize!
dowens76

Post by dowens76 »

Yes, to bring it back, I see on the ISO testing page that the 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs have been approved for stable release. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the announcement. Anyone have any news on that front? I am eager to download the 64-bit system.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

dowens76 wrote:Yes, to bring it back, I see on the ISO testing page that the 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs have been approved for stable release. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the announcement. Anyone have any news on that front? I am eager to download the 64-bit system.
Right here.

Joe
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

After using all the Mint flavors, I'm finally giving KDE a try...

Wow, it's pretty amazing. Thanks for the hard work!
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I think all of the Mint flavors are amazing. Different strokes for different folks, but they are still Mint and still great. Life is good. 8)
Holy Smoke

Post by Holy Smoke »

:D I am a newbie but I can tell you that since I have tried Mint and Ubuntu I quit Microsofts nightmare and couldn't be happier!
cudayne

Post by cudayne »

If i wanted too try kde version an i had questions about how too do something would i use teh same forums as the gnome one?
mick55

Post by mick55 »

cudayne wrote:If i wanted too try kde version an i had questions about how too do something would i use teh same forums as the gnome one?
KDE Forum

Return to “Releases & Announcements”