grub-install fails on partition created by windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

As a general rule - don't make the partition in Windows for Linux. You can make it if necessary to make room if you can't from Linux - but then always format and possibly remove the partition and add it again from Linux. I think that gives the least trouble.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

MInt and Ubuntu use the same Ubiquity installer.
But as Scorp123 says you are in command and decide what to do.
But I agree that the installer is a bit "cryptic" when it comes to partitioning and this is the part that gives problems
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: grub-install fails on partition created by windows

Post by scorp123 »

nitraw wrote: The partition I chose for Mint was shown as FAT16. After changing it to Linux everything went as smooth as it should. My mistake must have been to create the partition for Linux in Windows.
Perhaps future Versions of the installer's partition editor should check for the correct flag in the partition table.
I agree here. It should at least throw an error message early on so that you don't have to waste so much time and know already before copying begins that something isn't 100% right. But this odd behaviour seems to be present in Ubuntu too. I wonder if this is a bug or if they did this with a specific purpose in mind?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Or possibly the part about partitioning is too difficult to get right...
This seems to be the part that gives most problems in the installation - as stated it is a bit cryptic

Return to “Installation & Boot”