[SOLVED]OK Let Me Hear Ya!! LXDE or Flux??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gqpolo

[SOLVED]OK Let Me Hear Ya!! LXDE or Flux??

Post by gqpolo »

Trying to streamline as always and want to hear your thoughts...I know I have enough resources to run anything but like i said just between these two flavors of mint...pros and cons, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deleted

Re: OK Let Me Hear Ya!! LXDE or Flux??

Post by deleted »

I like LXDE, but Kendall does them both (I think).
LXDE is a DE (Desktop Environment)
Fluxbox is a WM (Window Manager)

HMMM... now that you mention it, I could make LXDE use Fluxbox instead of OpenBox... Back after a while;)
-Hinto
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Thanks for the info...so are you saying that flux would use less resources as it is just a WM?
deleted

Post by deleted »

That's what the word is on the street (tho the resource differences might be minimal). For me, however, I like the user experience of a DE.
-Hinto
viking777

Post by viking777 »

For me Fluxbox beats everything, I use it on all my distros, but I don't use the CE (sorry :( ) I just install it over the top of either gnome or xfce. It doesn't make it any slower, and it gives you the advantage that if you can't work out how to do anything in Flux then you can log out and into gnome and search for a solution there. More importantly perhaps it has the advantage that if you are trying to help someone out on the forum (where most users use Gnome) then you can check your proposed solution on Gnome before posting it and if you only have the CE you can't do that.
charlie01

Post by charlie01 »

It depends on how you like to use your computer,If you like to save things on your desktop,LXDE is the choice.
I always save things in my home folders,Plus i prefer a window manager over a desktop environment.So Flux is perfect for me.

I do believe it uses less resources,But not positive.

I prefer tint over lxde panel.This may be the reason why im such a fan of Crunchbang and Mint Fluxbox .
It is so customizable compared to lxde.

I say try them both ,
gqpolo

Post by gqpolo »

Thanks for the input I appreciate it!!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

My preference is to install the main release of a distro, then add DEs and/or WMs. I installed the main (GNOME) version of Isadora, then added Fluxbox. In Elyssa and Ubuntu Lucid, I installed the main versions and then added LXDE, but later went back and set up Openbox (which LXDE brings in) and used Openbox most of the time instead.

Both Fluxbox and Openbox are more fun for me to customize than LXDE is.
charlie01 wrote:It depends on how you like to use your computer,If you like to save things on your desktop,LXDE is the choice.
I always save things in my home folders,
That's a good point. I'm the same way, use the home directories but not ~/Desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”