Hello EV (wasn't sure where to put this so...)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crypto

Hello EV (wasn't sure where to put this so...)

Post by crypto »

hello Ev .. i've made the switch from Ubuntu / Kubuntu about a month ago now..... I love mint how ever and it's been mentioned on the form, but rather than saying oh please do it for me ... i'm going to ask whats involved it and see if i can't get this out for the people like me who want it..

So as was mentioned of this form Mint has no alternate cd, now the reason i wanted it differs from other people, and yes i know mint has a feature built in for just this, but that dose not help when you foo bar your system, and have no apt backup .... or wireless drivers ...

what i want is a alternate dvd with the packages layied out so apt-cdrom add will work with the disk..

I am not asking for someone to do it for me, I want to know whats involved ... I'm no nub to Linux 4 years and running now how ever .. I'm still learning and am by no means an advanced user... I do have some programing experience however it is very dated now so I am learning Ruby and Python right now as well ..

in any case if one of the devel people see this message and they have a place to send me to make a alternate cd with the packages set up for apt .... that would be great ... and if it looks like i can do it then i'll make the dvd and send the iso to where ever it needs to go ... perhaps by torrent.

In any-case Ev
Crypto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hello EV (wasn't sure where to put this so...)

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello crypto,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
I don't know the answers to your questions,hopefully someone who does will be along soon
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Check out remastersys for creating a disk like you are talking about.
crypto

Post by crypto »

bobcollard wrote: remastersys

yes but where do you get it now?

it's not in the repo dose it have it's own now or something?

the only version i found would not work ... i forget the error but it was for Ubuntu before uck ... i tried uck but ...

it just crashes out maybe i am wanting to many packages .. ? not sure if there is a limit.. and my system is not your standard set up..
i can brake my system up to 10 times a week ... not full out but i've seen ASH a few times, and recovered from it ya...

crypto
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I just got it and started using it on my Isadora install. Works perfectly! Add the following to your software sources:

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository karmic/

Then you can install it from package manager. :D

This version is good for Karmic and Lucid (therefore Mint 9)
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
crypto

Post by crypto »

Great thanx however

I'm still curious about this alternate cd.. it would still be nice to have one with the release, and if i can figure it out why not... it can't be that hard and it will be good practice..

perhaps it will give me opportunity to test out my new knowledge of python ... well still learning, but it's coming easily reminds me of turbo pascal in a way..

i can understand most of the language now some stuff is still confused..

in any-case i'll install remastersys for now and hopefully i'll be able to figure out this alternate cd thing ... bet there's a faq for it somewhere ..

Crypto
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

This is the internet. There's a faq for everything :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Introduce Yourself”