LMKDE9 - mintupdate - Unable to change icons

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enigma

LMKDE9 - mintupdate - Unable to change icons

Post by enigma »

Bug Report - LMKDE9 - mintupdate - Unable to change icons

I find the new icons in mintupdate in the system tray too small to distinguish. I easily see the shield but not the inner graphics. The older icons were much better for my disabled eyes.

Using the mintupdate form tab 'Icons' I began changing them. With some help, I located the old icons in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintupdate/icons. The new icons individually showed under the 'Icons' title. I clicked 'Apply' but nothing happened. I assume that the form closes with a successful apply but the form stayed visible.

I closed the form but the system tray mintupdate was now iconless. Just a space with no icon.

I modified the permissions but still the icons do not stick. I 'Quit' and reloaded but the results were the same. I completely removed the app and reinstalled but the results are the same.

Maybe this text I found is applicable, "I actually do see more errors and crashes due to improperly informed users and tweaking that was never really meant to be implemented into the OS."

Thanks.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
enigma

Re: LMKDE9 - mintupdate - Unable to change icons

Post by enigma »

Follow-UP

I have located the source of the bug. The mintupdate.conf file in /etc directory contains the path + filename of the icons. In my particular case the path+filename equals the first location of my own icons.

Let me explain:

I did not want to use the current system tray icons so after some work I decided to create my own. I used my user directory and Kiconedit to manufacture some 'works of art' (cough, cough). After I finished each icon I opened mintupdate to load the icon and look at it in the wild. After making a new set, I moved them to my graphics directory for permanent storage. I reopened mintupdate and entered the new location of the icons. This is the beginning when the problems occurred.

This should help isolate the bug. I do not think that too many people will reproduce my steps so it is not a priority.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”