Update to 2.6.20-16 kernel breaks SATA in Feisty/Cassandra!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Hi Husse,
I have the same exact problem; I tried 4 or 5 times to install Cassandra on the second hard disk of my PC, and every time it breaks down with the UUID error message, usually after a few days of use, with or without upgrading the kernel.
If I reformat the hard disk and recreate the partions, will I be able to solve the problem?
By the way, my main OS is Bianca on my first hard disk and it works flawlessly.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

Strange. I don't have this problem.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Lolo Uila wrote:/dev/scd0 is now /dev/hda (primary master drive)
/dev/scd1 is now /dev/hdc (secondary master drive)
Yes this is a known problem. One finds on the Web much of anybody complaining about that, each update of the kernel 2.6.20 changing the disk identification. :evil: See for example http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/conte ... /122/1/19/
As a matter of fact, I have experienced some moody behaviors with Ubuntu Feisty (Beta):

* kernel 2.6.20-12: IDE (PATA) /dev/hda goes /dev/sda
* kernel 2.6.20-13: IDE (PATA) is seen again as /dev/hda
* kernel 2.6.20-14: IDE (PATA) /dev/hda goes again /dev/sda
Stupid no? As the author says: "the Linux kernel shoud have had a new tagline: «How Do You Want Your Devices To Be Called Today?»" :roll:

Bad thing by the kernel team. :twisted:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

linuxviolin wrote:
Lolo Uila wrote:/dev/scd0 is now /dev/hda (primary master drive)
/dev/scd1 is now /dev/hdc (secondary master drive)
Yes this is a known problem. One finds on the Web much of anybody complaining about that, each update of the kernel 2.6.20 changing the disk identification. :evil: See for example http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/conte ... /122/1/19/
As a matter of fact, I have experienced some moody behaviors with Ubuntu Feisty (Beta):

* kernel 2.6.20-12: IDE (PATA) /dev/hda goes /dev/sda
* kernel 2.6.20-13: IDE (PATA) is seen again as /dev/hda
* kernel 2.6.20-14: IDE (PATA) /dev/hda goes again /dev/sda
Stupid no? As the author says: "the Linux kernel shoud have had a new tagline: «How Do You Want Your Devices To Be Called Today?»" :roll:

Bad thing by the kernel team. :twisted:
wow... I don't have that problem either. :P

My devices have always been /dev/sdX in Gentoo, and Mint using the Intel ICH chipsets. Dunno why it keeps changing for you guys. Maybe I'm just lucky. :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Kladiator
I have missed this thread lately - a reformat may or may not solve the problem - that is really ugly :(
As you see some have and some don't have this problem. I think it has to do with exactly what hard- and software you are using. All combinations don't use the same parts of the code (don't ask me to expand on this :) I know what I'm talking about, but to explain in simple terms....)
Kladiator
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kladiator »

Hi Husse,
I can confirm that even a reformatting does not solve the problem but now I know the cause is a Fiesty-related bug, because on the same root and home partitions where Cassandra and Ubuntu 7.04 break down I installed the old Dapper and it works perfectly.
I guess I'll keep using Bianca until the next release of Linux Mint based on Gutsy Gibbon.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

As I said in my last post I believe it's about the kernel 2.6.20-*

2.6.19 had already some problems:
Coming after a 2.6.19 kernel that was breaking all distros older than ten months
(http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/conte ... /122/1/19/)

For that see http://lwn.net/Articles/193603/
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Wow. I'm surprised this is still happening. Only that first infamous kernel update caused problems for me. All later updates have been fine. Odd?

Have you edited your fstab file? There was a 2nd issue with the kernel updates switching the /dev/ ID back and forth between hd & sd, but this only affected people that had edited their fstab and removed UUID.

Return to “Other topics”