Macbook temperature problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
soderstrom

Macbook temperature problem

Post by soderstrom »

Hi

I've been using LM9 Fluxbox RC installed on a Super Talen USB-stick. It works great with my Dell XPS Laptop but when I use it on my Macbook the USB-stick and rest of the laptop gets really hot after just a few minutes. The USB-stick is so hot that it's almost painful to touch it!

I used to have same problem with running Ubuntu installed on my Macbook aluminium 5,1, but could not find a solution to why Linux runs to hot on Macbook hardware. Tried to change the fanspeed but it didn't work. Seems like there is some activity going on that makes the hardware or any external medium runs hot when using Linux.

When I run the command "sensors" I get this result
applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Exhaust : 2003 RPM (min = 2000 RPM)
temp1: +33.8°C
temp2: +33.8°C
temp3: +30.8°C
temp4: +34.8°C
temp5: +72.5°C
temp6: +63.5°C
temp7: +70.0°C
temp8: +60.8°C
temp9: +65.0°C
temp10: +69.2°C
temp11: +60.8°C
temp12: +58.2°C
temp13: +31.2°C
temp14: +43.2°C
As you can see the laptop starts to get really hot for no reason. If I would start you tube now the degrees will probably hit around 90 and fan goes wild.

Appreciate any help on this one. Linux Mint 9 is really a great distro!

Thanks for listening

/ Soderstrom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Macbook temperature problem

Post by viking777 »

I don't understand those readings. Do you have 14 temperature sensors on one machine!! I only have one. Or maybe you know some way to get the output of 'sensors' to measure temperature changes over time and that is what I am reading I just don't know.

Anyway no matter. I had a problem like this recently and all I did was remove the back of the machine and blow through the fan. Inside it was probably about the cleanest cooling fan I have ever seen, in fact after I had removed the 8 miniscule screws that held the backplate on and saw just how clean it was I was cursing myself for wasting so much time. After I put it back together again however the problem had gone away.

Not rocket science I know but it worked.
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

viking777 wrote:I don't understand those readings. Do you have 14 temperature sensors on one machine!! I only have one. Or maybe you know some way to get the output of 'sensors' to measure temperature changes over time and that is what I am reading I just don't know.

Anyway no matter. I had a problem like this recently and all I did was remove the back of the machine and blow through the fan. Inside it was probably about the cleanest cooling fan I have ever seen, in fact after I had removed the 8 miniscule screws that held the backplate on and saw just how clean it was I was cursing myself for wasting so much time. After I put it back together again however the problem had gone away.

Not rocket science I know but it worked.
Macbook 5,1 aluminium have a few sensors but what is showing what is another problem. would have been easier if it just said GPU, HDD, CPU and so on in the terminal isntead of sensor1, sensor2 and so on.

Well anyway, back to the original question. I found help at the Ubuntu forums as well about this heat issue and managed to install some Mac support from the Mactel support team https://launchpaad.net/~mactel-support/+archive/ppa]. The laptops fan runns a bit faster now, but still feel it is to hot.

I have cleaned the macbook before and it had some dust. Will consider doing the modification of changing the original cooling paste with some Artic Silver 5 paste. It have helped allot of other people I've read :)

Still if anyone have a magic configuration to make the macbook runs cooler with Linux I would much appreciate that :)

Edit:

After doing the updates I get the following results from sensors
applesmc-isa-0300
Adapter: ISA adapter
Exhaust : 4579 RPM (min = 2000 RPM)
TB0T: +35.2°C
TB1T: +35.2°C
TB2T: +33.2°C
TB3T: +36.5°C
TC0D: +70.8°C
TC0P: +62.0°C
TN0D: +70.2°C
TN0P: +61.2°C
TTF0: +61.5°C
Th0H: +69.0°C
Th1H: +59.0°C
ThFH: +58.8°C
Ts0P: +32.8°C
Ts0S: +45.2°C
At least the Exhaust is better than before so hopefully I can solve this damn problem. Still think Artic SIlver 5 is the way to go. Sucks I have to go inside the machine and tinker with the hardware to make it better. Wont buy another product from Apple!
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Those temperatures would definitely be uncomfortable to the touch. The good thing is that they are not high enough to do the system harm, at least not an intel system.
soderstrom

Post by soderstrom »

dawgdoc wrote:Those temperatures would definitely be uncomfortable to the touch. The good thing is that they are not high enough to do the system harm, at least not an intel system.
As long as it doesnt do any damage on my USB-stick or macbook hardware then I will still use LM9 Fluxbox on my macbook. Will get back with a reply of new sensors readings if I successfully manage to apply the Artic Silver 5 paste. Just gotta find a good tutorial for it :) Anyone nows? :P
philcolbourn

Post by philcolbourn »

In case others are interested, you need macfanctld from ubuntu. I used

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mactel-support/ppa/ubuntu natty main

My MacBookPro4,1 runs TC0P at 45-50 degrees. Fan runs at 3600-ish.

Return to “Software & Applications”