need help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pulsta
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pulsta »

Hi there,

Yup I've done this myself only recently and the solution is quite simple...but only if there are backups of the X config. file.

at the terminal prompt type:
cd /etc/X11
now type:
ls -l
and you will see a bunch of files...the file we are interested in is xorg.conf

or more importantly other backup versions of xorg.conf that you can find there...are there any??

if so its just a matter of renaming the backup file to xorg.conf overwriting the bad one you had there...and your done.

I'm only a learner myself but hopefully this will point you in the right direction...If not then someone more 'senior' can chime in.

Cheers

Kerry

[/b]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint darkernights
Boot in recovery mode and then try

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg 
This command needs sudo, but you are already root in recovery mode. Leave the TTY by typing exit. If you end up in the destop reboot immediately as you are root.
If that does not help use the vesa driver as an intermediate solution until you find out which driver you should use. Instructions for how to do that here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ms_as_well
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Welcome to Mint darkernights
Husse,

Good one! Video Drivers have caused me a few Xorg problems in the past. LOL!

Adler

Return to “Beginner Questions”