why not switch now?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: why not switch now?

Post by exploder »

Robin, the pdf viewer works fine here, it sounds like a file association problem. I have always liked Mepis but the version of xserver is too old for my 25" monitor to work right with it. Mepis was the first distro I ran full time. :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: why not switch now?

Post by MALsPa »

Robin wrote:I would advise any newbie trying out any of the 'buntus or anything based on Ubuntu to set up their Update Manager to accept only security updates, never the "recommended" ones that so frequently b0rk a perfectly good working system. The sheer number of "b0rked by an update" threads in their forums (and a few here as well) is compelling evidence that whatever the heck they're doing over there, it's sloppy, hurried, random, and harmful. It must be a full time job for developers of Ubuntu spin-offs like Mint to protect their users from the ever-increasing flotsam coming from upstream.

-Robin
I haven't always brought in all the updates in Ubuntu and Mint, but after 4 years of running Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and about 3 years of running Mint, I have yet to have an update bork a system. I guess I'm just extremely lucky, but I'm starting to wonder if the fears aren't a bit exaggerated. I haven't used every release, preferring to stick with the LTS versions instead of keeping up with the six-month release cycles, so maybe I've missed a lot of problems by doing that.

Return to “Chat about Linux”