Full system encryption using cryptsetup and LUKS fails

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daniel_L
Level 1
Level 1

Full system encryption using cryptsetup and LUKS fails

Post by daniel_L »

Hey forum!

The last few days I spend some time on encrypting my whole system (excepting /boot, of course) using cryptsetup and LUKS, following this german wiki guide for Ubuntu 7.04 (which is currently not reachable).

Anyway, after following the steps I came to the point where I had to encrypt / by executing the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo cryptsetup -c aes-lrw-benebi -y -s 384 luksFormat /dev/hda7
After some minutes the following error message appeared:

Rendezvous with udev timed out for 'temporary-cryptsetup-6162'; stat failed: No such file or directory
Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping.
Check kernel for support for the aes-lrw-benebi cipher spec and verify that /dev/hda7 contains at least 383 sectors.
Failed to write to key storage.
Aufruf fehlgeschlagen.
The only solution I was able to find is to load the module cryptmgr with modprobe. But: modprobe cryptmgr results in the following error message:

FATAL: Module cryptomgr not found.
Is it possible, that this is a Mint problem? In the discussion thread on the above mentioned guide, none of the Feisty users ran into a problem. After executing the cryptsetup[...] command, / got encrypted.

Any comments are appreciated :)

Greetings, Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The only solution I was able to find is to load the module cryptmgr with modprobe. But: modprobe cryptmgr results in the following error message:
Code:
FATAL: Module cryptomgr not found.
Now if you look at the quotation you'll se that you are not talking about the same file - is it cryptomgr or cryptmgr?
I don't see anything Mint specific causing this, but it isa a rather special piece of software...
daniel_L
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daniel_L »

Oops. Just a typo - cryptomgr was meant both times.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oops. Just a typo
I expected as much :)
But sometimes you make the typo where it affects the result. Is there a home page and a forum for the crypto program?
If so, I think you should ask there.
This is rather special and beyond my knowledge.....
But let's hope someone else has an answer
daniel_L
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daniel_L »

AFAIK there's just a wiki for cryptsetup.

Anyway, I'm now looking for a way to fully encrypt my system (/, /home, swap; /boot won't be encrypted) using Truecrypt (which I already use for my external drives and under Windows and which I prefer to cryptsetup because of it's much better plausible deniability strategy). The crux is to decrypt these partitions while booting up...I guess I have to patch the kernel (e.g. add Truecrypt and some kind of script which after asking for the passwords decrypts the partitions before they are needed in the booting process). But my linux knowledge is still too limited to accomplish that :(

In the guide (here you can find an english version) this is being done by cryptsetup - it installs some scripts or stuff. So it is possible - somehow.

However, thanks for your answers :)

Return to “Other topics”