New volume controller, etc.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caris_mere

New volume controller, etc.

Post by caris_mere »

I'd like to get a volume icon in the system tray that is interactive. I want to be able to scroll over it and it change the volume and that my Fn keys can control the volume. This works in LXDE, I think and in Peppermint. Is that easy to change? Any tips?

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New volume controller, etc.

Post by shane »

AFAIK volwheel has this feature ( http://oliwer.net/b/volwheel.html ). You can get the package here: https://launchpad.net/~neosofti/+archiv ... ld/1796929 or you can add the PPA to your sources.list: https://launchpad.net/~neosofti/+archive/ppa

Please do keep in mind that I have not tried this package nor have I used volwheel in quite a while... so I cannot say anything about stability.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I use volwheel on my flux install and for the most part it works just fine. The part that doesn't work so well is controlling it from the hardware side (function keys for you, a volume wheel on my machine). This works on one boot and then doesn't work on another boot, never figured out why. But the mouse scrolling always works (providing you choose the right default channel in preferences). I have version 0.2.7. (which is strange because the latest version on the site that shane linked to is 0.2.6, but I definitely have 0.2.7 and I don't use the ppa, so I don't know where I got it from :lol: )
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

On the project home page (first link) the latest version is 0.2.8. The PPA is still on 0.2.6... probably the maintainer just hasn't got round to upgrading.
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

Check out gvolwheel? It's much more stable than volwheel, and one of them is a clone of the other. Works beautifully with aumix-gtk.

m a r
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't get the volwheel thing to install properly, so I decided to get "volumeicon". Somebody had suggested it for the new crunchbanglinux. You can see it here http://www.softwarebakery.com/maato/volumeicon.html

Working fine with the scrolling, but it doesn't do the fn keys. Oh well
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

caris_mere wrote: it doesn't do the fn keys.
Did you try editing your keys file?

m a r
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

No, I don't know what the commands would be to adjust the volume.
rogue_ronin

Post by rogue_ronin »

Try something like this:

Code: Select all

XF86AudioMute :Exec aumix -v 0 
XF86AudioLowerVolume :Exec aumix -v -5
XF86AudioRaiseVolume :Exec aumix -v +5
Need to install aumix - or better: aumix-gtk.
syeager

Post by syeager »

OK, I have had some success, some information, and some questions.

Success
With little changes, my HP dv6113us mute and volume touch keys work. No new apps needed to be installed. It just works. Excellent.

Information (HOW)
I added the following lines to the .fluxbox/keys file:

None XF86AudioMute :ExecCommand /usr/bin/amixer -q sset Master,0 toggle
None XF86AudioLowerVolume :ExecCommand /usr/bin/amixer -q sset Master,0 5%-
None XF86AudioRaiseVolume :ExecCommand /usr/bin/amixer -q sset Master,0 5%+

The current icon in the system tray does not reflect the changes dynamically. It does not reflect changes in volume by keys or by mixer. Only if you click the icon (which brings up the slider) and move the slider does it's value change (and the volume changes according to it).

I installed volumeicon and it did dynamically reflect the volume, whether altered by keys or by mixer.

Questions
Is there a way to get the current volume icon to reflect the correct volume value dynamically? Or should it be replaced with volumeicon?
Also, I commented out the following lines in the ~/.fluxbox/startup file:
/usr/bin/xfce4-volumed &
pyvolume &

And added the following to use volumeicon:
volumeicon &

Also, I had to move the blue-tooth-applet to later in the list or it would not initialize. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Software & Applications”