is mint for me ???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

For 1/ you can use remastersys. It hasn't been tested on monkeys but it works pretty well on humans :)

2/3/4/ should be basically the same under Mint than under Ubuntu.

There are less people here than on Ubuntu's forums so potentially you should get less answers but more attention.

As Mint is a liveCD and you can try it for free without much effort I strongly recommend you make your opinion as to whether it's suitable for you or not.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

I agree with Clem. Try the LiveCD, running as much of your stuff as possible. If you like it, install it. If you run into trouble, there's this forum and the IRC chat (#linuxmnit.com). Good luck.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

i am a ubuntu 7.04 user and have found that the support on forums and info on ubuntu dont fill my requirements
dragonwings,

I went from SuSE (9.0 through 10.x) to Ubuntu. I've noticed that the Forums [/i]do change over time. I found Linux Mint, looked around the community, and say a great bunch of people here.

I've not been here long, but the few questions that I have had, have been answered very well. Of course don't give up on the UBUNTU Forums. And -- Google, Google is my friend. LOL!

Adler

jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

I just installed Mint to my hard drive on another partition . Can I ask how do I get "remastersys"?Trying to wean myself from Windows. :oops:
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

thats where you can get remastersys
dragonwings,

Thanks for that Link. I've been looking for something like this forever!

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

dragonwings,

I have to get back to you here.

Have you run remastersys?

I've been trough the WiKi. And, did the install.

Is there a GUI. Or, what is the script there?

Adler
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Disable Networks

Post by jhouse59 »

I just made a LiveCD from the install I did of Mint. I want to do a back-up DVD. How do I disable my network? I don't want it to show up. I tried it the first time. It seems like it is trying to get information off of the network. Would it be alright to just delete my network out of the Network folder?
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

dragonwings,

Thanks for that!

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

dragonwings,

I guess I should say "Welcome" to Linux Mint! I've also crossed over from U 7.04.

I'll try that GEdit thing into my APT repos, and see what happens.

When you launch remastersys from command line is there a list of what you want to do?

I'm thinking that this is a real killer application. I've tried CRON jobs in the past, but never was really happy. Or, better put -- could not trust the result.

Adler
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

dragonwings,

Thanks for that.

I tried to PIM you, but couldn't sent the PIM.

I think that this has gotten a bit off topic. If you know what I mean.

Drop me an e-mail address if you would like.

Adler

Return to “Beginner Questions”