Linux Mint 9 Xfce RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint 9 Xfce RC released!

Post by JoeFootball »

azathoth wrote:Any idea when the final will be out on this? Rumors, smoke signals, etc?
I don't know exactly, but I always keep my eye on the ISO Testing section of the Linux Mint Community website, as well as the Xfce forum here.
azathoth wrote:I've been using the RC since it came out and it seems really tight. I was just wondering if I should bother transferring much media (quite a lot) onto this partition or just hold out for the final? I generally do a clean install.
To the best of my knowledge, the RC will become the final version via normal updates. That said, I always do a clean install with the final ISO, despite the fact that I know it'll be the same. I'm sure there's a section in a psychology textbook about the disorder. :)

As for all your media, what I do is create a separate, non-OS-dependent "data" partition, and just mount it after the install. This way, I can do clean installs whenever I want (thereby enabling my own psychosis above), without worrying about the data. Furthermore, this allows me to have multiple OS PCs that use the same data partition.

Joe
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

As for all your media, what I do is create a separate, non-OS-dependent "data" partition, and just mount it after the install. This way, I can do clean installs whenever I want (thereby enabling my own psychosis above), without worrying about the data. Furthermore, this allows me to have multiple OS PCs that use the same data partition.
Yep, that would be the smart thing to do.:oops: In fact, as often as I add/change/reinstall distros it's pretty silly of me not to have done so by now.
One question however, (pardon my noobiness-it's only been about 4 months since I blew Windows off.) i noticed that Xfce or Thunar, cannot see the other OS partitions on my hard drive. In fact I recently installed Nautilus in my Xfce partition just to do that. Would there be similar issues with a data partition? And lastly should I take this to another thread?
Last edited by azathoth on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m1k3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by m1k3 »

azathoth wrote: Yep, that would be smart thing to do.:oops: In fact, as often as I add/change/reinstall distros it's pretty silly of me not to have done so by now.
One question however, (pardon my noobiness-it's only been about 4 months since I blew Windows off.) i noticed that Xfce or Thunar, cannot see the other OS partitions on my hard drive. In fact I recently installed Nautilus in my Xfce partition just to do that. Would there be similar issues with a data partition? And lastly should I take this to another thread?
If you can afford it I totally recommend getting a TonidoPlug. I bought one so that I can access my files from anywhere (my own personal cloud) but also so I could keep my files separate from my OS. I use pyNeighborhood to connect to the Plug which I have a 1TB hard drive connected to. In my home directory I created symlinks to all of my most used folders on the external drive (Music, Pictures, etc.). I use CrashPlan to back up the external drive.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

azathoth wrote:(pardon my noobiness-it's only been about 4 months since I blew Windows off.)
While I've dabbled in Linux for the past 10+ years, I've totally "cut the cord" with Windows only last year, so your noobiness is all too familiar. :)
azathoth wrote:i noticed that Xfce or Thunar, cannot see the other OS partitions on my hard drive. In fact I recently installed Nautilus in my Xfce partition just to do that. Would there be similar issues with a data partition?
I don't have an Linux Mint Xfce installation available to check right now, but I'm pretty sure if you edit you /etc/fstab file, you can get that proposed data partition to auto-mount every boot.
azathoth wrote:And lastly should I take this to another thread?
Yes, you'll get far better response if you do so, in the Newbie Questions forum. Or try searching for it first. I'm confident that the answer's on here somewhere. :)

Joe
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

JoeFootball wrote:... but I'm pretty sure if you edit you /etc/fstab file, you can get that proposed data partition to auto-mount every boot.
Joe
Yup, that's right.

Actually, during the install process if you select manual partitioning you should be able to define the data partition in advance.

However, if you didn't (or don't want to) do that, you can auto-mount whatever you want from fstab. I've got 3 Windows ntfs partitions and 2 nfs network shares that auto-mount from fstab.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok sorry about the delay of updates.
I had a problem that took most of my time.
The apartment next to me flooded so much that it flooded ours too.
The computer room was soaked when we got home.
My desktops were sitting in water and my new one was still running.
It was the weekend so the office was closed and took hours before anyone could show up.
We didn't get anyone to soak up the water until 9PM.
We had to tear apart the computer room to get it to dry.
It took 4 days for all of the carpet to dry and then get steam cleaned.
I still haven't completely put the computer room back together.

I hope to get an ISO done this weekend.
I already think I have fixed the problem of the autologin not mounting USB drives.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

merlwiz79 wrote:I had a problem that took most of my time.
From what you wrote, that's gotta be the understatement of the year. Yikes! Just reading about that ordeal has me not wanting to leave home again. Best of luck getting things back together.

Joe
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

JoeFootball wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:I had a problem that took most of my time.
From what you wrote, that's gotta be the understatement of the year. Yikes! Just reading about that ordeal has me not wanting to leave home again. Best of luck getting things back together.

Joe
LOL yea it was crazy.
The living room, hallway and computer room was flooded.
The water in the computer room was above the carpet.
The apartment next door was so flooded that it was coming out the door.
I am glad that it didn't ruin my new computer which sites on the floor.

I have updated the xfcemint-desktop-settings package so that USB devices mount even with auto login enabled.
alakin

Post by alakin »

I have tested the live Isadora xfce and all is well. I popped it onto a spare partition (but without boot loader) and booted into it using the System Rescue CD so that I can do some basic checks and configurations before adding it to my GRUB2 configuration. However, I landed at the login screen to find that I did not have a mouse or a keyboard! Would this be a function of the way I booted into the system or is there a wider issue? I did manage to safely unmount the the filesystem and reboot into Gloria using Alt-Prt Scr-R S E I U B.

Alan
Robin

Post by Robin »

It would sure be alot less buggy without Plymouth! Please please pretty please, like you did with that stupid buggy PulseAudio, please lose Plymouth and go back to good ol' Usplash or something!!

Plymouth puts my monitor to sleep on boot-up! No input from mouse or ketboard "wakes it up." Show stopper. back to the olde version.

Oh please please pllllleeeeeeeease dump Plymouth!

I'll be eternally grateful!

-R
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Robin wrote:It would sure be alot less buggy without Plymouth! Please please pretty please, like you did with that stupid buggy PulseAudio, please lose Plymouth and go back to good ol' Usplash or something!!

Plymouth puts my monitor to sleep on boot-up! No input from mouse or ketboard "wakes it up." Show stopper. back to the olde version.

Oh please please pllllleeeeeeeease dump Plymouth!

I'll be eternally grateful!

-R
You can disable it so it will boot.
Just edit the last line by removing quit and splash.
Robin

Post by Robin »

merlwiz79 wrote: You can disable it so it will boot.
Sorry if this should be obvious, but - the last line of what, exactly?

embarrassed,
Robin
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Thanks Mykal and JoeF for the replies. I kind of lost track of this topic. Anyway, I've been eyeing the testing ISOs here and just noticed that LM9 Xfce has been approved for stable release. I have a nice little home all ready for it.
Congrads to the team once again, and thanks for making *buntu even better! You guys kick ass!
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

P.S. That issue I mentioned earlier is a known Thunar shortcoming. I'll opt for the the fstab automount. Thanks!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Robin wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote: You can disable it so it will boot.
Sorry if this should be obvious, but - the last line of what, exactly?

embarrassed,
Robin
Oh the Grub2 entry.
It allows you to edit it.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Press Alt+f2 type
gksu mousepad /etc/default/grub

search for this
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

remove the quite splash.. am i correct? or do we remove this entire line?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What I did on the Gnome version was to comment out the original line and add a new one:

Code: Select all

#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
Then I did a:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”