exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Any new info?

Post by exploder »

Aww c'mon. GNOME ain't that ugly!
/me doesn't even like gnome
Still think it looks ok in mint though :D
Looks pretty clean and elegant to me. :)
The Mage

Post by The Mage »

ikey wrote:Aww c'mon. GNOME ain't that ugly!
/me doesn't even like gnome
Still think it looks ok in mint though :D

What do you think?
Don't get me wrong, GNOME does indeed look very slick, and I do like their minimalist principles, (to a point). It's just that it's no longer my DE of choice.

As for contributing, I'd be happy to whatever I can. Unfortunately I'm not a coder.

Is there a site / blog / mint community page for this project that provides a "to do" list that I could take a look at in order to see where I could best apply myself?

Cheers mate.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've got #!CrunchBang Statler running in a VM and so afr it's been fairly impressive if not a bit spare in the UI end of things (running Open Box and XFCE DEs at the moment). The low resource footprint and the stability are excellent. I've also had Debian Lenny and Debian Squeeze running as well.

That being said, the one thing that troubles me about a Debian based Mint is how "Debian" it's actually going to be as even Debian Testing can be stubbornly conservative (as it should be). For example, no (up to date) Firefox and Thunderbird and the usual "branded" software that's normally included in the Ubuntu based editions of Mint would be missing in a "straight up" Debian edition. And even in the Debian Unstable repos, Iceweasel is woefully outdated as compared to Firefox for example and (version 3.5.11 for Iceweasel vs 3.6.8 for Firefox). I'm all for supporting FOSS but the FOSS versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Flash, Java and various multimedia codecs are either behind in development in comparison with their branded counterparts or, in the case of Flash and Sun-Java, simply not up to par yet. I'm not putting any of the developers down at all, I'm just wondering how "Minty" a Debian based version would actually be "out of the box". :mrgreen:

Just thinking out loud here is all.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

kmb42vt wrote:That being said, the one thing that troubles me about a Debian based Mint is how "Debian" it's actually going to be as even Debian Testing can be stubbornly conservative (as it should be). For example, no (up to date) Firefox and Thunderbird and the usual "branded" software that's normally included in the Ubuntu based editions of Mint would be missing in a "straight up" Debian edition. And even in the Debian Unstable repos, Iceweasel is woefully outdated as compared to Firefox for example and (version 3.5.11 for Iceweasel vs 3.6.8 for Firefox). I'm all for supporting FOSS but the FOSS versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Flash, Java and various multimedia codecs are either behind in development in comparison with their branded counterparts or, in the case of Flash and Sun-Java, simply not up to par yet. I'm not putting any of the developers down at all, I'm just wondering how "Minty" a Debian based version would actually be "out of the box".
I've had similar thoughts here. I'm thinking, though, that Clem and the Mint devs could add some of that newer stuff. Sort of like Warren does with Mepis, which is based on Debian Stable. Also, the Mepis community chips in with their Community Repos.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

MALsPa wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:That being said, the one thing that troubles me about a Debian based Mint is how "Debian" it's actually going to be as even Debian Testing can be stubbornly conservative (as it should be). For example, no (up to date) Firefox and Thunderbird and the usual "branded" software that's normally included in the Ubuntu based editions of Mint would be missing in a "straight up" Debian edition. And even in the Debian Unstable repos, Iceweasel is woefully outdated as compared to Firefox for example and (version 3.5.11 for Iceweasel vs 3.6.8 for Firefox). I'm all for supporting FOSS but the FOSS versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, Flash, Java and various multimedia codecs are either behind in development in comparison with their branded counterparts or, in the case of Flash and Sun-Java, simply not up to par yet. I'm not putting any of the developers down at all, I'm just wondering how "Minty" a Debian based version would actually be "out of the box".
I've had similar thoughts here. I'm thinking, though, that Clem and the Mint devs could add some of that newer stuff. Sort of like Warren does with Mepis, which is based on Debian Stable. Also, the Mepis community chips in with their Community Repos.
I seem to have inadvertently found the answer while running #!CrunchBang Linux 10 Statler alpha 2 on a separate partition. I was perusing the #! forums looking to find how to install the latest version of Firefox and came across this post in the Statler thread:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic ... n-statler/

Seems that our very own Clem has packaged up the latest Firefox for Debian (which the next version of #!CrunchBang is based upon, not Ubuntu as previous versions were). After adding the repo;

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com Debian import
to Statlers' sources.list I also found this included the latest Thunderbird 3.1 as well.

So my guess is that this just might be part of the preparation for releasing that new Debian based Mint we're all excited about? :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “LMDE Archive”