startup programs

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlexMex90

startup programs

Post by AlexMex90 »

Hi! I would like to config conky to start when login.

how can I do this???

thanks in advance :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: startup programs

Post by shane »

the programs run at startup are configured in ~/.fluxbox/startup

It is basically a script that is run at login...

to run conky at startup add the following line where you want in the script. There is a section in the script where it is recommended that you add your programs.... It is indicated in the comments as 'ADD APPLICATIONS YOU WISH TO LAUNCH AT LOGIN IN THIS SECTION'

Code: Select all

conky &
Zyxon

Post by Zyxon »

Hi. Simply conky& didn't work for me. Just to be clear. You have to place the conky starter code before exec fluxbox. Now for me fluxbox somehow overlayed conky, so I made conky to sleep for 2 seconds, this gives time to the other startup applications to load, including fluxbox. I've done it like this:

Code: Select all

sleep 2 &&  /usr/bin/conky &

It is also usually a good idea to include the full path to the binary, not only its name. I hope this helped.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

As a rule of thumb, 'exec fluxbox' should always be the last thing that is run by the startup file.
Zyxon

Post by Zyxon »

shane wrote:As a rule of thumb, 'exec fluxbox' should always be the last thing that is run by the startup file.
+1
RandAlThor

Post by RandAlThor »

In the default Gnome Linux Mint, after installing and configuring Conky, go to Preferences->Start Up Programs. Conky should be there; just check the box and you should be good to go ... this worked for me to get Conky running on start up. :mrgreen:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”