Quit menu only has logout and cancel icons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeffreyC

Quit menu only has logout and cancel icons

Post by jeffreyC »

Using version 3.24 white squares with red x's on all but logout, cancel
Tried changing icon set, no difference
Can't find a menu to edit manually

Jeff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Quit menu only has logout and cancel icons

Post by viking777 »

Well you have one up on me already - I don't even have a quit menu!

The file to edit is ~/.fluxbox/menu

My entries (at the end of the file) look like this:

Code: Select all

[separator] (--------) {} <>
    [exec] (Logout) {skill -KILL -u  yourusername goes here} 
    [exec] (Reboot) {/sbin/reboot} 
    [exec] (Shutdown) {/sbin/halt} 
[end]
You may have to invoke the setuid bit to make reboot and halt work as a normal user, for that you do:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 4711 /sbin/reboot
and the same for /sbin/halt
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The menu works, but no icons, just image not found symbols

Jeff
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

jeffreyC wrote:Using version 3.24 white squares with red x's on all but logout, cancel
Tried changing icon set, no difference
Can't find a menu to edit manually
What icon theme are you using in your other *GTK* apps? Instead of using static icons, I changed this version to use the GTK icon theme for the quit dialog. Look in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/endsession/endsession.glade... the lines with "<property name="icon_name">" define what icon should be used for each button. If the *GTK* icon theme is complete, the corresponding icon should be present and should appear. Please check your *GTK* icon theme or try another one.

@viking777 How did you generate your menu? There is no code that I wrote that would generate those entries in the menu... :?

P.S. By GTK theme... i mean the one defined in lxappearance.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

@viking777 How did you generate your menu? There is no code that I wrote that would generate those entries in the menu...
You are quite right, there isn't, it is entirely my own invention. I needed to do this because I am not using the Fluxbox CE, but the fluxbox wm on top of various other DE's but using the Fluxbox CE generated .fluxbox and .mint-fm2 files. Not all your code therefore works with these other DE's. The sheer beauty of fluxbox is that it is so easy to manipulate to make it work with other environments. I have it running over Gnome, Xfce and Lxde on several different distros and they all work well with just a bit of tweaking, mainly to menus. Again the beauty of Fluxbox is that the menus are plain text files, not even xml and are therefore simple to manipulate. I must congratulate you on the original code even if I don't use the CE edition, it is immensely portable even to non debian environments (this is being posted on an rpm based distro but it is very successfully using the .fluxbox and .mint-fm2 files that came with the Fluxbox CE that I started out with when I first looked at Flux).

I am not entirely sure about this, but I believe you use the command 'ciao' to run the quit menu? Thing is that command doesn't exist outside of Flux CE (as far as I can tell) and that is why my quit menu wouldn't work and had to be rewritten. I could have added the 'ciao' executable (if there is one) to get it working but I doubt that would have worked on an rpm based system and anyway I prefer it the way I have it as it shuts down or reboots straight away without bothering me with another dialog box.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Oh OK... You should be able to hack it a bit to get ciao to work in your distro. Things you'll need to know...
- The root daemon should be running. This is what does the actual power management action with root privileges.
- The trigger directory in which ciao creates the triggers should be configured.

But if you prefer doing it your own way... that's great... and that's the whole point :D
viking777

Post by viking777 »

But if you prefer doing it your own way... that's great... and that's the whole point
Isn't it just. I am as happy as a puppy with two tails using Fluxbox at the moment, especially when I see how KDE has gone and how Gnome appears to be going. I don't know if I will always feel that way but I do just now and that is all that matters. About the only time I boot a non-flux desktop nowadays is if I am trying to help someone out on the forum and need to use Gnome tools to do so (though most of those work with flux anyway).

Thanks for the reply Shane and keep up the good work it is much appreciated, by me at least, and many others I am sure :D
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

In my other GTK apps I am using Tango; the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mint-fm2/endsession/endsession.glade has gnome icons listed which are also installed on my system. I tried switching to gnome GTK icons; different image not found symbols

Return to “Software & Applications”