London Newbie Intro

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SkorpionUK

London Newbie Intro

Post by SkorpionUK »

Hi all,

I've just installed Linux for the first time ever. I'm only a semi-geek at best, but it's all been pretty straight forward (apart from one little issue, which I'll go find the right board for in a minute...)

As said above, I live in London. I came across Mint in France - my dad had managed to install it on his new laptop, decided he didn't like it after all (he used to work for Big Blue in the 70s, we can only expect so much!), but couldn't figure out how to delete Mint and reinstall WinXP, so asked me for help. I managed to do it, with a lot of Googling for answers, naturally! But I've been intrigued by the idea of trying out Mint myself ever since.

I have an aged IBM (there's that name again...) ThinkPad R31. I wasn't sure it was still alive, to be honest, but turns out it just had a knackered AC adapter, which had also taken out the fuse in the plug! Anyway, all ok again, and I've just about managed to squeeze in my install as a dual boot with Windows (until I get everything I want installed, and can get rid of Win, anyway).

My current problem is that the screen saver crashes the laptop every time I try to look at options. As said, I will go look for a suitable place to ask about that, but if someone happens to know, please feel free to post a link for me. Thanks in advance!

SkorpionUK.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: London Newbie Intro

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello SkorpionUK
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Hello Skorpion,

I hope you are getting that screensaver issue sorted out. Usually help is available on most any problem.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi SkorpionUK and welcome to the Mint community.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
SkorpionUK

Post by SkorpionUK »

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

Yes, I managed to fix the screensaver issue (via a reinstall), so everything's ok now.

Skorpion.
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome and see how friendly this forum is

Return to “Introduce Yourself”