Hello from sunny?!?Alberta

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grey1960envoy

Hello from sunny?!?Alberta

Post by grey1960envoy »

I recently changed from Windows to Linux Mint and have to admit I no longer have Bilk ya for all I can Gates on any of my computers except an ancient XP tower that my wife and I use for backup of pics etc. I am a former mechanic and am just learning about computers (I picked up my first one 4 years ago )so please bare with me if I sound a bit off at times with the IT jargon .I hope to learn a lot from visiting this site and maybe I can shed a bit of light from my own experiences LOL...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Hello from sunny?!?Alberta

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome,

If you have questions just post them. The link in the red boxes above the posts in some sections connects to forum rules. They will tell you what kind of info helps in solving a problem.

and happy 50th. I hit mine later this year.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Ask and ye shall receive. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask (although some people may give you a snarky response if you haven't read up a little first).

If you haven't already done so, read the official user guide for Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” first:

Download link: ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/docs/user-guide/

There is a whole bunch of good stuff on the tutorials page: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial

Learn how to make system image backups so that you can restore your system if you get a little carried away with experimentation. My learning style is to push things and see what happens, which sometimes leads to "Oops."
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello grey1960envoy,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful reading for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
Also,for real-time help we have IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be connected automatically to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Thanks to all of you and I am glad to be involved with this forum and I do realize that I may ask some dumb questions but as I used to tell my apprentices "There are no stupid Questions...Only stupid answers"LOL
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome to one of the best Linux distro
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Well thank you all for the warm reception and I am finding that Mint is my OS of choice, I have a few distros that I have burned as well as 3 different windows applications and this is the ONLY one I use (I even took windows off of my personal laptop altogether)!!!
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

If you haven't already done so, eventually you will need to use the Linux command line through terminal. Almost everything can be done through the graphical user interface, but often answers to questions will be couched in terms that require using terminal.

Recently, I stumbled on a clear and succinct summaries of the basics of using the command line:

The 5-Minute Essential Shell Tutorial http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/100

Five minutes may be a little bit of a stretch, but this little guide covers all the essentials and seems (to me) very clear.
limotux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by limotux »

Hi sunny..

welcome to the linux world! :D

I assure it is fun, absolute fun.

Forget about viruses, slowing down by time, freezing, and all these nasty "features" of M$ (microsoft) and it's Windows (windows). The beauty of linux is not only it is "free", but also it is run by the community, people like me and you and other members here.

You can ask for help, give help, exchange ideas, discuss things and above all, make friends.

I myself have been on linux since about 10 years, 10 wonderful years, I lived - in regards to my pc at home at least - in peace of mind.

I am sure you will enjoy linux, linux mint and the community.
Lenovo G580
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 - LMDE 4 Debbie
In Love With Linux

Return to “Introduce Yourself”