Linux Mint 9 Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 9 Xfce released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 Xfce. Linux Mint 9 Xfce New features at a glance: New Software Manager 30,000 packages Review applications straight from the Software Manager APT daemon Visual improvements New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Better look & feel Backgrounds Welcome screen Update Manager New Thunar Move to [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1505
OldTimer

Re: Linux Mint 9 Xfce released!

Post by OldTimer »

I think Mint is great, the quality of the work is evident, but I am a bit concerned.

Is there an option to install using the legacy Grub?

That is, enable it during the initial installation to a HD? Not afterwards.
Glitchcity

Post by Glitchcity »

What is the difference between this release and the RC if this final release has the same known problems as the release candidate? :?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Glitchcity wrote:What is the difference between this release and the RC if this final release has the same known problems as the release candidate? :?
Changes:
added a workaround to fix Auto login not mounting USB Devices
installed gvfs-fuse for shares to work in Gigolo.
Updated Firefox, Thunderbird and mint apps.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Nice, I have an empty slot for it right now. Good timing.
Any progress on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/583923 yet? It would be ideal to be able to fully update and still have fsck work properly.
Thanks for all your hard work guys!
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

azathoth wrote:Nice, I have an empty slot for it right now. Good timing.
Any progress on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/583923 yet? It would be ideal to be able to fully update and still have fsck work properly.
Thanks for all your hard work guys!
The only known solution, I know of, is to disable level3 updates from ubuntu. I admit its a drag not to have a fully updated softwares but if it works then I'm ok
IDK

Post by IDK »

x86 is more stable then x64?:-)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

IDK wrote:x86 is more stable then x64?:-)
IMHO No longer correct.
Arminius von Xanten

Post by Arminius von Xanten »

Is there a way to install the Xfce-version from a running Mint 9? I already have installed the Xfce-desktop. The CD-drive in my Samsung X-10 laptop is not working (firmware was shot when attempting to update), so I have to manage it without optical drive. Unfortunately booting from USB does not seem to work either, although "alternative device" can be selected in the BIOS.
daniel508

Post by daniel508 »

is there any "computer" feature on this one? i can't seem to find it...
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Arminius von Xanten wrote:Is there a way to install the Xfce-version from a running Mint 9? I already have installed the Xfce-desktop. The CD-drive in my Samsung X-10 laptop is not working (firmware was shot when attempting to update), so I have to manage it without optical drive. Unfortunately booting from USB does not seem to work either, although "alternative device" can be selected in the BIOS.
You could use a Flash drive with Unetbooten instead of a CD/DVD. Depends on how your BIOS is setup, some require the USB first in line, others just change temporarily.
dbrooks

Post by dbrooks »

How do I auto mount my external drives when Xfce boots?
farnaby

Post by farnaby »

First of all: Congrats to merlwiz, clem and everyone who contributed to this one. It's really a great release! I installed it at home and it runs perfectly so far.
Very smooth and lightning fast boot. :-)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

dbrooks wrote:How do I auto mount my external drives when Xfce boots?
Try this link:
http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... buntu.html
P.S. Worked for me.
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

congratulations, good work
graeme

Post by graeme »

This is the second time I have tried LM XFCE (I tried 8 as well).

As before, it is fast, beautiful, and very buggy.

I would not even consider staying with it were it not for the lack of XFCE distros - Xubuntu is heavy (and most of the bugs in Mint XFCE seem to come from there), Mandriva has a poor XFCE (it is a CE), Zenwalk has a tiny repo, Arch is too much work and I am not comfortable with a rolling release.
Robin

Post by Robin »

I suspect that the thing that caused LM Xfce 9 to crawl slower than Windows on my Dell was an Intel graphics issue. It's unusable for the extreme slow speed, freezes, and boot-up issues. But LM 8 Xfce rocks on that machine.

Question: I have read that some work has been done on the Intel graphics thing, and that some future kernel update could fix it and make LM 9 Xfce work. That would be awesome, since I love my Minty fresh Xfce and would hate to have to switch distros when support for LM8 runs out next year. Is there a kernel update in the works for Isadora Xfce that can fix my Intel isuue?

Thanks,
R
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

well. download and install yet
Fammy

Post by Fammy »

This is my first Xfce experience and I have fallen in love at once. Thank you for making Mint 9 Xfce. :)
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

...Dell was an Intel graphics issue.
- umm, Dell issues, Intel graphics issues? Nothing new there, then. A few possible suggestions: move from the USA (always a good idea, anyway!), never buy proprietary boxes (hire a proverbial six-year-old to build you a decent machine to a decent spec. if you're a bit tentative about doing it yourself). Failing those expedients, if you've got on-board graphics, esp. Intel, look up the data sheet of the video chip, sever the +5V or +3.3V line with a scalpel and insert a proper graphics card in your PCI/AGP/PCI-e/(ISA?!) slot and l-i-v-e. That usually takes care of regular as well as truncated (Phoenix) BIOSes.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”