A big fat hello

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CarpathiaMan

A big fat hello

Post by CarpathiaMan »

Hi everyone.

I'm the kind of guy who has had an on-and-off relationship with Linux. My last successful trial, or experiment, or whatever term you'd prefer to use, was when I had Ubuntu installed on my main desktop rig (dual-booting with Vista).

But just recently I cleaned up an old computer of mine, a box with a 1.0 GHz AMD CPU and 512 MB of RAM. I wiped the hard drive, put XP on it, and thought, "Hey, this is a great opportunity to try Linux again, and to see how well it runs on old hardware."

So I installed Mint. How did it run? Well, not all that bad, believe it or not. It was pretty close to being actually usable. Of course, it sure wasn't screaming, but then again you can't expect much nowadays from a PC that was originally built in the Windows 98 era.

Nevertheless, Mint seemed so nice that I thought it would be an injustice to not run it on more modern hardware. The GeForce 5200 graphics card in my old machine would barely let me use desktop effects and play games at the same time. Long story short, I now have it installed on my HP dual-core laptop, alongside Windows 7. This is much better!

So, I just wanted to say that I'm really having a fun time using Mint. Its quality is right up there with Ubuntu -- easy to install, easy to use, and nice to look at. In a word: refreshing. I look forward to broadening my Linux/Unix horizons even further. (By the way, my brother teaches a class in Linux at the local community college where I work. It's in our family blood, so we're trying to spread the word!)

And thank you all for letting me join your community here. It's great for an OS to have that kind of support.

Peace. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: A big fat hello

Post by tdockery97 »

Hello CarpathiaMan, and welcome to the Mint community. I know from my own experience that you will not find better support anywhere. Great people and a great distro. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome to the Mint community C_man.

I'm glad you had a great install experience. (not all do)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello CarpathiaMan,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome :mrgreen:
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Welcome. You might try one of the lighter Editions like XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox, on that older machine, light and fast. they all are available through Linux Mint.
CarpathiaMan

Post by CarpathiaMan »

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes, on the whole, my experience with Mint has been pleasant so far. On my laptop, I find myself using it instead of Windows on a fairly frequent basis. But I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to operating systems -- I have a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard as well. I like them all.

Even the gaming situation on Linux isn't all that bad. I downloaded and installed Alien Arena -- I think it's an awesome shooter! Not only that, but there are some games that I've written myself that I'm thinking of porting -- but it might take some time before I get around to that.

To advance the cause even further, I also made a $10 donation on Mint's main website. I know it's not much, but it's what I can afford. When I see something good that deserves praise or support, I like to help out.
CarpathiaMan

Post by CarpathiaMan »

bobcollard wrote:Welcome. You might try one of the lighter Editions like XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox, on that older machine, light and fast. they all are available through Linux Mint.
The thought of putting a really light version of Linux on there has crossed my mind often ... I guess I spend a lot more time on my newer computers, so it's becoming less and less of a priority.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

CarpathiaMan wrote:
bobcollard wrote:Welcome. You might try one of the lighter Editions like XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox, on that older machine, light and fast. they all are available through Linux Mint.
The thought of putting a really light version of Linux on there has crossed my mind often ... I guess I spend a lot more time on my newer computers, so it's becoming less and less of a priority.
As an alternative, you could make some child a happy camper and teach them how to use it.
CarpathiaMan

Post by CarpathiaMan »

bobcollard wrote:As an alternative, you could make some child a happy camper and teach them how to use it.
Food for thought! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”