CTRL+ALT+DEL under Gnome as in KDE

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

CTRL+ALT+DEL under Gnome as in KDE

Post by leo72 »

I would like to suggest a method to emulate the functionality of the CTRL+ALT+DEL keybinding under the Gnome desktop as it works in KDE.
As you know, when you press the above keys in KDE, a pirate's skull appears so that you can kill any frozen window/application that you are running on your desktop.

Under Gnome you can do as follow:
- open a terminal and type "gconf-editor" (without the quotes);
- open "apps/metacity/global_keybindings"
- look for "run_command_x" (where x goes from 1 to 10: choose the first one that you have empty);
- right click and select "modify key", then insert a combination of keys that is not used by other keys. I've choosed "<Ctrl><Shift>Delete", that is free and very similar to the one of KDE;
- now open "apps/metacity/keybinding_commands" (it is just near the previous);
- here right click on the corresponding "command_x" that you have choosen before (i.e.: if you chose "run_command_1" then choose "command_1") and insert "xkill"

Now try to type the sequence that you chose and look at the mouse pointer: it will change in a pirate's skull! You will now be able to close any window on your Gnome desktop!
(tip: if you don't want to close any window, just do a right click and the pointer will come back at its normal state).
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Is it possible to have this as a default in mint? A lot of people have asked about this before on the forum. Why not add it as default feature of mint?
BTW Leo great tip!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Another option is to add a "Force Quit" to the panel.
leo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo72 »

nelamvr6 wrote:Another option is to add a "Force Quit" to the panel.
Yes, but sometimes the system is heavy loaded and the system can take a lot of seconds to answer at an user click. Calling the "deadly skull" by a keybinding is faster and lighter.
hippy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: CTRL+ALT+DEL under Gnome as in KDE

Post by hippy »

leo72 wrote:I would like to suggest a method to emulate the functionality of the CTRL+ALT+DEL keybinding under the Gnome desktop as it works in KDE.
As you know, when you press the above keys in KDE, a pirate's skull appears so that you can kill any frozen window/application that you are running on your desktop.

Under Gnome you can do as follow:
- open a terminal and type "gconf-editor" (without the quotes);
- open "apps/metacity/global_keybindings"
- look for "run_command_x" (where x goes from 1 to 10: choose the first one that you have empty);
- right click and select "modify key", then insert a combination of keys that is not used by other keys. I've choosed "<Ctrl><Shift>Delete", that is free and very similar to the one of KDE;
- now open "apps/metacity/keybinding_commands" (it is just near the previous);
- here right click on the corresponding "command_x" that you have choosen before (i.e.: if you chose "run_command_1" then choose "command_1") and insert "xkill"

Now try to type the sequence that you chose and look at the mouse pointer: it will change in a pirate's skull! You will now be able to close any window on your Gnome desktop!
(tip: if you don't want to close any window, just do a right click and the pointer will come back at its normal state).
Thanks 8)
hippy

"To touch the earth is to have harmony with nature." Oglala Sioux
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

leo72 wrote:CTRL+ALT+DEL keybinding under the Gnome desktop as it works in KDE.
Yes but at my home it's rather Ctrl+Alt+Esc :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Noob Saibot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Noob Saibot »

This is awesome. I second the request to have this in Mint by default!
Enjoying the Mint Experience
"(to touch the earth is to have harmony with nature)" -hippy

Return to “Tutorials”