Maintaining Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

You don't have to do anything. Seriously. I would say "check for updates every once in a while," but Adept Updater does that for you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Yep its hard to imagine that you don't have to do that, but now you can use the free time to spend with family or play a game or hell write a post about how great linux is :wink:
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

You might use that time instead for running a weekly backup.

much of the issues faced with defragging etc are removed by using a journaling filesystem like ext3 or ReiserFS. So you don't need to be as concerned with that as much anymore.

It's still a good idea to run an antivirus and firewall. Just because people are obsessed with cracking at MS doesn't mean it will always be that way. Linux will inevitably be victim one day. I think it's a good habit to keep to run AV and Firewall.

I like to spend a bit of time going through stored files to see if they are still needed, or if it's to be kpt, but not actively used, I will move it after a period of time to a remote storage location like 4shared or dropboks. this will free up some space and resources on your HD and allow you to keep those files handy. There are tools and scripts that can check and relocate files for you based on how often they are active.

maybe that's just me though.

Either way. Good computer habits are good computer habits, regardless of the OS.

If you reset passwords routinely, that time might be a good one to do that also.

Enjoy, If you are using Mint, you are using one of the best.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

- Antivirus? You don't need that, virus threats are nearly inexistant in Linux. I never had to use any antivirus and I've run Linux since 1996 :)

- Syware? 90% of your software is open source .. so no spyware in there, and most of your proprietary software comes from the repositories, or some other trusted source. It happens now and then (for instance people are doubting about SKype and the reason why it would go and read Firefox passwords.... ) but it's never a big thing. The community itself is the best anti-spyware you could ever install :)

- Checkdisk? This is done every 30 times you boot your computer at boot time, it usually doesn't take to long.

- Defrag? No need, the ext3 filesystem is journalized.

- Security Upgrades? This is a very controversial subject, and with Celena disabling the update manager we're heading right towards big controversial talks. My advice? Don't take them... they fix security holes but also introduce bugs, I prefer stability to security. Especially with more than 2 releases a year... you don't really need that.

- Registry cleaning? There's no registry. I suppose you could clean Gnome's gconf registry now and then.. but again nobody does it.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

calumc wrote:''why would i want to know about that?''
Excellent answer! :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”