how do you install tar files

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

tar is installed in EVERY distribution of linux by default. It is a required tool for, well, everything.

If by some odd chance you don't have it, it should install automatically if you use Synaptic. You shouldn't download software off of the Internet - use Synaptic and make it grab software for you. Or, you could use Adept since it is already installed. But I recommend that you install Synaptic and use that.

Just install the new nvidia driver package from Synaptic/Adept and run nvidia-xconfig.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

No, you should never have to open .tar files.

Are you using the KDE edition? Click the menu and click "add and remove programs". Then, search for "nvidia" and install nvidia-new. Don't go to the nvidia website to download software. Only use either Synaptic or Adept to add and remove software. Using other sources could damage your computer...
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

alright. let me actually get the list of packages up, and I'll guide you step-by-step on how to do this using Adept.

1. Click the menu and click Add and Remove Programs to start Adept.
2. search for nvidia
3. install nvidia-glx-new.
4. run this command:

Code: Select all

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --allow-ddcci --allow-glx-with-composite --composite --damage-events --load-kernel-module --logo --mode=1280x1024 --render-extension --use-edid-freqs
If you want to see what all that stuff does:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/nvidia-xconfig
has all the information. You can change the "mode" parameter to whatever you like, but I have my screens running at 1280x1024 most of the time.

When you're done, logout and press CTRL+ALT+Backspace and, if you did it right, there should be a pretty new nvidia logo on your screen. If you don't like the logo, change the above configuration to say "--nologo" instead of "--logo".
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

jb14813 wrote:.tar is a file type i need to install a file that is a .tar type file
tar is a "utility used to store, backup and transport files." It is intalled by default normally so you should not have problems to use it... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

You know what? GUIs suck.

Open the program called Konsole in the menu.

copy and paste following things in order (in Konsole paste is shift+insert):

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new synaptic

sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --allow-ddcci --allow-glx-with-composite --composite --damage-events --load-kernel-module --logo --mode=1280x1024 --render-extension --use-edid-freqs
Also, try using Synaptic instead of Adept for package management. It's search function should get you by quite nicely.

EDIT:
Forgot the sudo. sudo is required for all installation and uninstallation commands.

Seriously, though, try synaptic if envy is too complex for you.
Last edited by sonicbhoc on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

jb14813 why you don't use Envy for installing nvidia drivers? :roll:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

linuxviolin wrote:jb14813 why you don't use Envy for installing nvidia drivers? :roll:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NO.

The last time I used that tool, it destroyed my entire system. Don't use it. just install the nvidia driver and use nvidia-xconfig. It does the same thing as far as I can tell, and it won't destroy your system.
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

oops. You have to use sudo for all apt-get commands. Check my above post, I've fixed it. (hit reload a few times to see it)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

sonicbhoc wrote:The last time I used that tool, it destroyed my entire system
Ah? Sorry for you but Envy is good. Maybe there was another problem for this destruction... :?
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

@linuxviolin: Nope. Envy has messed up other people's systems, too.

It was a fresh install, so it couldn't have been any modifications I made to the system.

Installing the driver through synaptic is guaranteed to work, whereas scripts can fail.

And using that nvidia-xconfig command, beryl, compiz or the far superior compiz-fusion should all work right out of the box.

@jacob: yeah, they worked. But, you have to close synaptic and adept (add and remove programs) to use apt-get to install software. So close them, and try to install nvidia-glx-new and synaptic again. But you don't need to run the nvidia-xconfig thing again.

Return to “Other topics”