Debian-KDE

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colyn

Debian-KDE

Post by colyn »

This morning I downloaded the live CD for Debian Lenny and checked it out. I was impressed with both its speed and stability. The live CD had KDE which is what I want to install on a new laptop. I then downloaded the small net install iso but during the install KDE was not found as an option. I was only able to install gnome.

The dvd download is 5 dvd's so I don't want to download them unless I get the option to install KDE.

Does debian not offer KDE anymore?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Debian-KDE

Post by MALsPa »

Hm, a friend of mine installed Debian Squeeze using the net install, back in February. He installed KDE instead of GNOME and said there was an option to choose KDE during the installation. I don't know if things have changed since then, but I'd probably ask around at the Debian forums.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Oh, but you're talking about Lenny and he installed Squeeze. Lenny used KDE 3.5 and Squeeze is using KDE4. I wonder if that has something to do with why you didn't see an option for KDE (???).

Edit: Ah, colyn, I see you've already gone and gotten some answers at the Debian User Forums. Cool!
colyn

Post by colyn »

MALsPa wrote:Oh, but you're talking about Lenny and he installed Squeeze. Lenny used KDE 3.5 and Squeeze is using KDE4. I wonder if that has something to do with why you didn't see an option for KDE (???).

Edit: Ah, colyn, I see you've already gone and gotten some answers at the Debian User Forums. Cool!
Up front I do like Debian but it somehow feels a bit dated when compared to Mint 9. Doing

Code: Select all

su root
to get a root terminal is different.

Right now I am running it on a spare hard drive for my laptop and may install it on my next 'new laptop I am planning to buy soon..'

Return to “Chat about Linux”