Konky installation...

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Konky installation...

Post by tenfoot »

Decided to install Konky. Downloaded from the Konky site and extracted files. However, failed at the ./configure stage with the following error:
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for iconv... yes
checking for working iconv... yes
checking for iconv declaration... install-shextern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);
checking for Xext... yes
checking for XDamageQueryExtension in -lXdamage... no
configure: error: Could not find XDamageQueryExtension in -lXdamage
zed-desktop conky-1.8.0 #
Have searched in Package Manager for the missing file, without success.

Would appreciate some assistance from the Konky fans on the Forum, please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Konky installation...

Post by dawgdoc »

It may be simplest to install from synaptic or using apt-get instead of compiling. According to the Conky homepage the latest stable release is 1.8.0, which is the version in Synaptic. I am using conky-all instead of conky.
colyn

Post by colyn »

In addition to installing conky-all you need to write a .conkyrc file and save it in your home folder.

Check here for more info http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=30209
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Once you get conky installed, you might like to play around with this little app I found called ConkyWizard.

Believe it or not, someone has come out with a GUI for building your own .conkyrc file instead of the more common method of finding one that is close to what you want and editing it
colyn

Post by colyn »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Once you get conky installed, you might like to play around with this little app I found called ConkyWizard.

Believe it or not, someone has come out with a GUI for building your own .conkyrc file instead of the more common method of finding one that is close to what you want and editing it
You might also want to check out conky gui

It is a graphical interface for editing a .conkyrc

http://conkygui.sourceforge.net/
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There is something strange going on with the link I posted to ConkyWizard. If you click on the link you get a page explaining that the desired page of Webupd8 does not exist.

However, if you Google ConkyWizard and take the first link, it delivers you to the page that supposedly does not exist.

The URL is the same in both links. In fact, the URL I used in my link was from the site I reached via the Google link. Very odd.

I would recommend that anyone wanting to download ConkyWizard get to the site via Google since the link apparently is not working in my post.

I have installed both ConkyWizard and conky gui and it looks like they will complement each other nicely.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies. I did look in Synaptic but, of course, as you will all have noticed I spelt it with a "K" instead of a "C". No wonder I couldn't find it :oops:

After I've finished reading the new messages on the Forum, I'll toddle off and install Conky from Synaptic.

It's no fun getting old :lol:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”