Yet Another New Linux Mint User

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RubixNG

Yet Another New Linux Mint User

Post by RubixNG »

Hello everyone, I'm RubixNG (NG being the acronym for my website). I'm 16 and am currently learning PHP/Python. Hopefully one day I will get good enough at programming to contribute back to Linux Mint with bug fixes and stuff. If I was good enough at programming I would like to make a video editor that doesn't suck.

I have in fact used Linux before. I've used Ubuntu & Fedora previously, and it was some of the the worst mistakes I ever made. I was fine with Ubuntu, except for odd bugs completely locking up my computer, but I never stayed with it and went back to Windows because Ubuntu felt like it was very fragile. I have tried Fedora and within 30 minutes I had completely killed it and had it have a kernal panic on boot (new record?) from following how to install nvidia drivers in an documentation tutorial. :D

When Ubuntu 10.04 came out it felt like it was getting there other then 1/3 of the times plymouth would fail to get administrative powers to shut down the computer or something like that. So it wouldn't shut down or restart, only logout. Causing me to hold the power button for 4 seconds to shut it down many times (In fear of the safety of my computer I didn't stick with it). There were also a few other stupid bugs that should of been fixed. Speaking of which that stupid bug in launch pad for plymouth still hasn't been fixed and it's apposed to be a LTS version?!

I stayed with Windows for quite a while until Linux Mint peaked my interest, and since I was gettying annoyed with Windows Vista being slower then molasses with GIMP and other things it started become unusable for productive purposes. Especially since the new school year was starting soon, and I'm doing volunteer work on making the school's website not be just a beige background and black text anymore, so I needed to have access to my laptop and have it quickly booted up and running. (Which Vista fails at. It almost made me late for a class waiting for it to shutdown so I could pack up my laptop). So I decided I should try it and I went to the Linux Mint website press download and burned it. Ploped it in and installed and... lo and behold I try Linux Mint, and supringly it's perfect out of the box. It found what graphic driver I needed and asked me to install it. Wi-fi worked, sound worked (even headphones), even the wi-fi button that flashes during internet usage worked, etc.. I found it to be extremely stable and polished. (Plus the best part is, it shuts down right every time). Even my laptop is really quiet, instead of being the usual jet engine O_o

So, hello everyone and thank you to the Linux Mint community for making such an awesome distro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Yet Another New Linux Mint User

Post by tdockery97 »

Hi RubixNG, and welcome to the Mint community. Like you, I was really amazed the first time I used Mint. I had heard that Linux was hard to learn and very unstable. Just goes to show you how good the Mint developers are doing with this distro. Have fun with Mint!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
jesica

Post by jesica »

goo day and welcome
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello RubixNG,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

Return to “Introduce Yourself”